Review of NETGEAR WNDR3700's Features & Benefits (Page 1 of 2)
The NETGEAR RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (WNDR3700) is the newest and top of the line flagship product from NETGEAR - full featured and high performance.
Key Features of the WNDR3700
- Simultaneous Dual-band Wireless-N operation with two 802.11n radios running simultaneously at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band, offering twice the bandwidth.
- Gigabit Ethernet ports for ultra-fast wired connections
- ReadyShare(TM) USB Storage Access for fast and easy shared access to external USB storage devices supporting multiple file formats (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3)
- ReadyDLNA - Plays USB External Storage content on DLNA/UPnP AV devices like EVA2000, XBox360, PS3, DLNA compliant TVs
- Enterprise-class wireless security with WPA and WPA2-enterprise encryption
- Multiple SSID support for setting up a second network for guests with restricted LAN access or a dedicated 5GHz network for video and gaming
- Broadband usage meter ensures measurement of Internet traffic daily, weekly and monthly with customized alerts
- High WAN to LAN throughput of over 500 Mbps
- Dedicated video network in 5 GHz band for streaming high-quality HD video, reducing jitter and packet loss
- Convenient one touch on/off switch and Wi-Fi buttons to conserve energy
- Three power and range settings reduce transmit power up to 75% depending on the power level selected
- Auto-Sensing gigabit green switch automatically adjusts the power level based on the length of Ethernet cable and port connections
- Support of multiple languages (>20 languages) during installation and language selector in the Router GUI
Here are some of the areas in which the WNDR3700 excels:
- Wi-Fi throughput and range in both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands
- Total Simultaneous dual band Wi-Fi speeds when both networks are running at the same time, which stresses the CPU the most
- WAN to LAN speed
- Speed of USB external hard drive data transfer
- Minimizing packet loss in Video network mode
- Maximum number of simultaneous connections
Top Performance Engineering and Components
- A Powerful 680 MHz I/O efficient 24K MIPS processor - one of the most powerful in the consumer category router today
- High-end power amplifiers are included in the Wi-Fi Radio electronics
- Ultra-sensitive 8 internal metamaterial antennas fine tuned for each frequency
- Filters to ensure co-existence with other wireless networks.
It is recommended to use the WNDR3700 with a matching dual band Wireless-N client (embedded or external.) WNHDE111 5 GHz Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge or WNDA3100 dual band Wireless-N USB adapter can also be used as clients. Please upgrade to the latest firmware for all NETGEAR products at http://kbserver.netgear.com
ReadyShare allows you to easily share USB storage devices connected to the router to other computers in your home network or over the Internet.
WNDR3700 is ReadyDLNA, which means any media files in the USB hard drive connected to the USB port of the WNDR3700 can now be viewed and played in any UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) compliant media players like NETGEAR's Digital Entertainer Live (EVA2000) or DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) compliant Media players like Xbox360, PlayStation3 and TVs like Sony Bravia.
The Media Server name is ReadyDLNA: WNDR3700 and it automatically scans for new media in the hard drive.
Wi-Fi Speed and Range
High transmit power and sensitive antennas fine tuned for each frequency band provides superior range than other competing routers. In the NETGEAR rented home in San Jose, CA, at 197 Ft on the street through 5 internal walls and 1 external wall, the router still showed a steady 30 Mbps with Intel Centrino 5300 client at 2.4 GHz frequency band, enough to stream a HD Video stream.
WAN to LAN Speed
Both TCP and UDP performance in both downlink and uplink directions are in the 400-550 Mbps range with the firewall enabled.
Simultaneous Session Test
When both Wi-Fi networks (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) are connected to clients and passing network traffic at the same time, the CPU is usually the bottleneck as it has to process multiple streams of 802.11n traffic. However, with the 680 MHz CPU, WNDR3700 can deliver almost twice the Wi-Fi performance while operating in simultaneous dual band mode compared to when operating in only single band mode.