< <
OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community TechLore Explore3DTV DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Reset/Debrick NETGEAR WNR3500L: Pin Short Method

*** WARNING:  Perform this pin short recovery at your own risk and only as a LAST RESORT, as it may damage your router.  You should follow an alternative recovery guide before continuing; although you may still damage your router, they are more standard and significantly less risky methods. ***

*** Debricking WNR3500L on Windows, Mac, or Linux ***

Restore NETGEAR Original Firmware – Shorting Flash Chip Pins

1.  Download the original NETGEAR WNR3500L firmware (v1.0.2.26 as of this writing) and save the downloaded wnr3500l.CHK (or whatever other name you save the file as) file to your computer’s C:\ drive.

2.  Connect a computer’s network cable to one of the four (4) router’s LAN interfaces.

3.  Configure your computer’s network interface with the following address information:

• IP address:  192.168.1.10
  • Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0
  • Default Gateway:  192.168.1.1

4.  From your computer execute the following command:

• PING -t 192.168.1.1

5.  Power ON the router

• The router will take 10-20 seconds to start. Once the router responds with a Reply from 192.168.1.1, short the pins as shown on the diagram below:

6.  The router should start to continuously reply to PING or the power light will turn YELLOW and start to flash. Wait until the power light is no longer flashing YELLOW (YELLOW light remains steady ON) and power OFF the router.

7.  From your computer execute the following command:

• PING -t 192.168.1.1

8.  Power ON the router

9.  From the same directory where you saved the wnr3500l.CHK file, issue the following command:

• tftp –i 192.168.1.1 put wnr3500l.chk

10.  If the firmware upload to the router was successful, you will see a message from the Windows tftp.exe program something like “Successfully uploaded 5279802 Bytes in 6 seconds, 479982 Bytes/s”

• The POWER light on the router will turn YELLOW and begin to flash indicating the router is writing the firmware to flash. Leave the router alone for about 5 minutes to complete the work. Once it is done it will restart. If the POWER light is green and the wireless light is BLUE on the router, then attempt to open your web browser to http://192.168.1.1/ after the router has been on for about one (1) minute.

11.  You may need to try this procedure more than once if it does not work the first time. Also make sure to use the Netgear firmware and not third party such as DD-WRT.

• To access the router management interface, the standard Netgear firmware username and password are admin and password respectively. These should be reset to your own as soon as possible.

Tags : debrickpin shortrecoverwnr3500l

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-25 of 32 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

July 8, 2010 6:24 AM

Any idea why this works? What can go wrong?

July 8, 2010 2:03 PM

There are other Broadcom routers where this method will work. We've used this method many times in the lab on Netgear and it has consistently worked for us - YMMV. During testing we've messed around shorting other pins and have not had a problem.

One other note, if you've bricked your router and it does not respond to PING at all (we ran into this today in the lab), follow the same process above, and after about 1-2 seconds after booting the router, short the pins. Worked for us.

August 15, 2010 12:09 PM

Whats exactly "shorting the pins" ? I can't understand (maybe because I'm french :/)

August 15, 2010 12:59 PM

Shorting pins mean that you connect something metallic between the two pins in order to connect them. For example a small screw driver with a rubber handle.

September 27, 2010 11:21 AM

Oh, it looks like my method to debrick a router can be useful !!!!
I'm really flattered.

@ Shinoda: tu peux me demander si tu as besoin d'aide.

September 27, 2010 11:37 AM

C'est bon Fabien, j'ai réussi :D Merci quand même !

November 24, 2010 1:24 PM

Thank you very much!

March 2, 2011 3:07 PM

I used this method partially (until item 5), my router power light was green after the short and it was blinking slowly, from this point I use the Restore CD to recover the router.

Thank you!

March 16, 2011 9:16 AM

Hi

March 16, 2011 9:21 AM

Try the procedure several times, it may that you are missing something. Also you may want to consider the Fon Flash utility available from the Gargoyle Router project.

March 24, 2011 7:58 PM

This worked great for me.

March 24, 2011 8:00 PM

BluesBro said: Hi I'm still having problems getting a reply PING from the router... It answers shortly after reeboot but then no answer again... Shorting the pins makes the orange light turn blinking green and still no answer. Anybody got any suggestions? :-)
Yes, when the light starts blinking green that is when you upload the Netgear firmware using tftp. After that the light will start flashing orange, it is now reflashing with the Netgear firmware, wait several minutes for the router to restart and the light turn green again.

April 15, 2011 7:21 PM

I also have a bricked unit with only the power (green) and wireless (blue) dimly lighted when power is on. Also, my PC/laptop does not detect it when I connect the router to my PC(my network adapter indicate network cable is unplugged). Tried shorting the two pins but no result. Is the TTL serial cable the last resort?

June 12, 2011 5:08 AM

Hello,

I flashed DD-WRT and played with JFFS2. Shortly after running out of JFFS space I rebooted the router. It was bricked at this point. I remembered unbricking Linksys WRT150N with the same method, so I tried for this one. It worked!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

August 31, 2011 2:46 PM

I've got the same problem with TOOLBOX. My router don't respond to anything/It's not displayed as connected device. And it's indicators of power and wi-fi are on. Nothing else. What to do? Please help!

August 31, 2011 2:52 PM

Bricked my WNR3500L and this worked like a charm...

Basically I just powered it on, waited for the power light to just sit there orange... Shorted the two pins and the light started blinking, TFTPed the file, it rebooted itself and I was back in business...

October 22, 2011 5:58 PM

iy worked for me , just like it is described up

October 28, 2011 8:35 PM

Nice! it works for me. Thanks a lot.

View unverified member's comment - posted by TimN

February 22, 2012 6:08 PM

Thanks a lot!! This worked and my router is up and running again!!

April 3, 2012 3:56 AM

Where can i find the two pins WNR3500L v2?

June 27, 2012 10:51 AM

I still have same problem.. My router works now reseted but i can still not enter router settings it ask for user and password i type it in and it gives a blank white page nothing atall! Please help me

June 27, 2012 10:56 AM

June 29, 2012 3:20 PM

Try opening the page with a different browser.

October 31, 2012 3:28 AM

worked on it for a while, but if you follow the steps exact, and repeat over a couple of times, esp the part where you short the 2 circuits to get the green blinking light. Green light means install via the command prompt. thanks everyone!

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-25 of 32 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window