Introducing: DD-WRT for the NETGEAR EX6200.
The EX6200 is naturally a Wifi Range Extender -- now, it gets a special upgrade using DD-WRT open source firmware. DD-WRT will transform this Range Extender into a full featured Wifi Router.
By default, the EX6200 has 5 LAN ports and no WAN port. DD-WRT allows you to use one of the LAN ports as a WAN port + 4 LAN ports. Since there are differences in features, I'm going to explain a few of the changes when using it with DD-WRT.
In the picture below you can see that once you have flashed DD-WRT, you will have one WAN port, which is port 5 on the router.
The LED with label "Connected" will show WAN status, once it lights up you are connected to WAN either through a cable connection or wifi connection, e.g. Client Bridge. The wifi lights will only display if the radio is online or offline.
NETGEAR logo is used as diag light indicating DD-WRT diag events, e.g. if you press Save or Apply in the web, this light will confirm this action. The WPS button on the back is being used as radio on off switch. This is useful if you want to quickly turn on/off the radios, e.g. you have defined a schedule to turn off the radio at certain times and it is currently turned off you can quickly turn the radios on in order to have wireless access.
The reason why I think this hardware is interesting to use as a wireless router with DD-WRT are the following:
- For the price, you will get a router with very good range, most wireless routers in this class only come with internal antennae
- Good usb storage performance as it features a arm dual core cpu (2x800Mhz)
- The unit is smaller than other routers in this class
- It looks damn good :-)
What is not so good about this unit:
- It has limited flash size and therefore we cannot add all features
- WAN Support Static/DHCP/PPPOE/PPPOE Dual/PPTP/L2TP/Mobile Broadband 3G/4G
- Dynamic DNS-VLAN Support
- Wireless AP/Repeater/Repeater Bridge/Client/Client Bridge/Guest Wireless
- DHCP Server
- SSH Server
- FTP Server
- Network Filesharing Samba
- WAN Traffic Counter
- PPTP Client/Server
- Advanced USB Mounting by Labels UUIDs
- CRON Jobs
- Firewall with Logging to integrated syslog or remote logging server
- Access Restrictions URL/Keyword/Protocol Based
- Port Forwarding
- Advanced QOS-DMZ
- Connection Watchdog
- Wireless Connection Watchdog
- Schedule Reboot
- Custom Script Tasks on Boot/Shutdown