Advanced Tomato on a new R7000 - Qs before flashing

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
mrcass
mrcass's picture
Advanced Tomato on a new R7000 - Qs before flashing

Hi!

I just picked up a new R7000 with the intention of immediately flashing it with Advanced Tomato. Main reason for not using stock firmware is to add DNSmasq records for servers on the network accessed by portable devices both internally and externally using the same configurations. I also really like the look of Advanced Tomato, and need CTF for my Gigabit fiber connection. (Reading about CTF makes me realize I won't have NAT Loopback, hence the DNSmasq records which seem like a better approach as well!)

My questions:

1) After flash to (Advanced) Tomato, I'd like to immediately change the WAN MAC to mimic (be the same as) the one in my current router. Reason for this is that my ISP only hands out a real public address if the router's WAN MAC is what I've told them it will be. If they match then I won't have to contact them if I need to switch back to old router due to unforseen complications up ahead. (Servers need to be accessable w/o interruptions.) Will switching WAN MAC like this in Tomato be a problem?

2) I've read earlier that Tomato can suffer from latency issues. I personally don't care about wifi, only cabled performance. Will I notice any latency issues compared to stock with cabled devices? (Increased ping etc)

3) Any suggestions about what firmwares to use today? What are the most stable combinations recommended for Advanced Tomato on R7000 now?

Thanks in advance!

mrcass
mrcass's picture
Noone? :(

Noone? :(