Almost installed Voxel's 1.0.2.44SF build....

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
impaler81
impaler81's picture
Almost installed Voxel's 1.0.2.44SF build....

Hi all,

Flashing my R7800 with Voxels build as per subject to enable the VPN client. I'm doing the basic method of just uploading the new fw and implementing my .ovpn file. I want to get the basics sorted before messing with Entware stuff, so I have followed this guide and Voxel's incredibly useful readme file.

I have flashed the router, carried out the reset, configured new setup manually, using three openDNS ip's - router working fine and using Voxels fw.

Now to enable the VPN client. I have obtained the .ovpn file from my VPN provider and placed it into the root of a USB stick, inside a folder called "openvpn-client" and inserted the stick in the router. About 30 secs later, my globe/web light on the router (next to the power light) turns orange - but I can still access the web. If I go to "whatismyip.com" however, I still see my ISP's static IP.

Something isn't working - I havent configured something, but not sure what. There are a few things I'm questioning though:

1) I have turned on telnet in the router's URL endpoint page, and enabled it within Windows - but when I telnet to 10.0.0.1 it just times out with:

"Connecting To 10.0.0.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed"

2) I have installed an Ubuntu app so I can try SSH'ing into the router. This also fails with:

"Permission denied (publickey)."

3) Upon downloading my .ovpn file, my VPN provider gave a username and password which states "use this when your client requests it". I am not sure where those credentials go, as nowhere in the guide does it mention inserting the user/pass for the VPN service. I assume they go in the .ovpn file, in the line that says "auth-user-pass" but replace "user" and "pass" with those creds accordingly - but this didn't change anything after doing updating the file on the USB stick (would the router have seen that change?)

Any ideas what direction I should go to? I think it's key related somehow but not sure how/why based on the guide I've followed - and I'm not sure about the user/pass reference from my VPN provider.

Also one final question. How does the router know which .ovpn file to use if I were to upload various ones for different countries?

Thanks,

Matt

Voxel
Voxel's picture
Something is wrong with your

Something is wrong with your OpenVPN. You should check /var/log/openvpn-client.log

First, disable openvpn client using USB stick (see README re: how). Maybe you should reboot your router. Second, try to telnet after reboot and enabling telnet from GUI.

Third try to follow this article:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-set-openvpn-client-netgear-r900...

it is more simple (for R9000 bu the same is for R7800). For less advanced users.

You problem with SSH: do you use username in address to access? I mean that I use e.g. "[email protected]" but not just "192.168.1.1" to ssh router.

And regarding various ovpn: better to do not do it. Router will find the only single (randomly).

Voxel.

impaler81
impaler81's picture
Thanks Voexl - in the end I

Thanks Voexl - in the end I actually uploaded 45SF as I noticed it had become available, and followed the guide you posted above in order to update my OVPN file corrrectly along with the accompanying text file containing only the username and password. I placed them both in the relevant folder in the USB stick, plugged it in, did a couple of router reboots and it all worked. Pretty easy in the end - but all the advanced config stuff is my next step!!

I am wondering though, is there an easy way to activate/de-activate the VPN client from within the GUI? If the router can detect the ovpn and txt file on the USB stick, and then copies them over to the router, can the router GUI have an on/off tickbox for activating the OVPN file? I did read the readme but couldn't find anything about de-activating it.

Thanks again, and I look forward to following your work.

Matt

impaler81
impaler81's picture
..apologies; "Voxel" ;)

..apologies; "Voxel" ;)

Voxel
Voxel's picture
I am wondering though, is

I am wondering though, is there an easy way to activate/de-activate the VPN client from within the GUI? If the router can detect the ovpn and txt file on the USB stick, and then copies them over to the router, can the router GUI have an on/off tickbox for activating the OVPN file? I did read the readme but couldn't find anything about de-activating it.

No GUI for that. At least yet. But it is written in README how to stop VPN client (using the same USB flash). GUI CGI processor is a part of GPL from NETGEAR distributed in binary form. I do not have codes to change it. So such tricks...

Voxel.