Bricked WNR3500L - Only Orange light (and lan)

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
OpenMehRouter
OpenMehRouter's picture
Bricked WNR3500L - Only Orange light (and lan)

Hi,

I have a WNR3500L v1 that I tried to flash the latest OpenWRT onto (without looking if it's compatible). The router was promptly bricked. When I turn it on, the orange light turns on, all the LEDs turn on (blue and green) about 4 secs later, and then just the  Orange power light staying on, and a green lan light for whatever is connected.

I have tried TFTPing numerous times in the TFTP window (of about 2 seconds), but it never accepted the request.

Later on, I tried the pin short method about a dozen times, but to no success, as it never accept the TFTP transfer either.

I purchased USB TTL adapter (this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-FT232RL-USB-To-Serial-Adapter-Module-USB-TO-2...) and soldered the 3.3v connection after cutting the 5v trace. Pin 2 (of the router) is connected to the RX pin, and Pin 5 is connected to the TX pin, and Pin 6 is connected to the GND pin of my usb adapter.

Installing the drivers and setting PuTTY to COM3 at 115200 bits with no flow control always leaves me a blank window with no router output. The way how it's set is I have the router off, with the serial pins connected and PuTTY ready. I turn on the router and I see the TX and RX lights of my USB TTL adapter briefly flash. However, putty recieves no input. When I press keys in the terminal window, I can see the TX light flashing green. Trying the 30-30-30 (while holding the reset button) with the serial cable only makes all the lights turn green/blue (on the router) with 1.5 sec delay rather than 4 sec delay. When I release the reset button, I see the USB TTL cable flashes red on the RX side.

Can anybody help me out to revive this router?

Many thanks :D

Kong
Kong's picture
Try again with inverted TX/RX

Try again with inverted TX/RX connection to the board.

OpenMehRouter
OpenMehRouter's picture
I've already tried with the

I've already tried with the TX/RX inverted, but still no output.

Kong
Kong's picture
And your serial settings are:

And your serial settings are:

Speed: 115200
Data Bits: 8
Stop Bits: 1
Parity and Flow: none

OpenMehRouter
OpenMehRouter's picture
Yes, correct, I used those

Yes, correct, I used those settings on COM3 (which shows up in device manager from the FT232RL chip)

Kong
Kong's picture
Did you start putty with

Did you start putty with admin rights? Other than that you need a oscilloscope to check on the serial communication or try one of the cables we normally use.

OpenMehRouter
OpenMehRouter's picture
I have UAC disabled, so

I have UAC disabled, so everything is in admin mode. Unfortunatley, I don't have an ocscilloscope, but I checked the that the circuit is complete between the serial header and the USB TTL adapter.

Did I damage the flash chip by trying the pin short method so many times?

Thanks for your help.