Can WGR614(L) login to 802.1x as client?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Julian purple
Julian purple's picture
Can WGR614(L) login to 802.1x as client?

Hey folks,

I spent some time searching the forums to find out whether my question might already have been answered, but i found no match. Hopefully this is the right place to ask.

I have not purchased the WGR614L yet. With this topic i hope to learn whether it's the right choice for me. I have been quite desperate to find a router which suits my needs.

What i need is this: a wireless router which is able to connect, "as a client", to a 802.1X-secured (by TTLS) wired network. The wired network with 802.1X protection is a given fact, onfortunately i can't change anything about this part.
Next, it must give access to that network (i don't care whether routed or bridged, whatever is the best), to both wired and wireless peers, without those computers needing to login through 802.1X (though if still possible, i would protect the wireless part with WPA2 and MAC address filtering).

Is it possible to do this with WGR614(L)? If so, what should i possibly have to change or add to the firmware?
Or what additional information would you need to answer my question? I hope anyone can help me.

Thanks in advance,
Julian

achilles
achilles's picture
could you plz elaborate your

could you plz elaborate your set up a bit .... do you need your router to act as a simple client like radius client or you need to act it as an authenticator that should connect itself to an authentication server b4 proceeding ...

Julian purple
Julian purple's picture
I'm not very sure about that

I'm not very sure about that distinction but i think it is the latter... currently my computer is directly connected to the network (so, without a router in between) and i have to authenticate before i can use anything of the network.

Maybe this might be valuable information as well: the 802.1X protection is because it's Surfnet, the Dutch academic network.

achilles
achilles's picture
Julian purple said:

Julian purple said:
I'm not very sure about that distinction but i think it is the latter... currently my computer is directly connected to the network (so, without a router in between) and i have to authenticate before i can use anything of the network.
Maybe this might be valuable information as well: the 802.1X protection is because it's Surfnet, the Dutch academic network.

Well I have seen the 802.1x option in GUI of WGR614L with DD-WRT ..... so it must be supported there ....

I am yet to test this feature ......  

achilles
achilles's picture
Hi julian,

Hi julian,
I have tested this feature on WGR614L with DD-WRT and my ap could connect as a client to a RADIUS server ... I have not yet tested it on WGR614L's default f/w ..but it works pretty OK with DD-WRT on WGR614L ....

Julian purple
Julian purple's picture
Thanks for testing this,

Thanks for testing this, achilles!
Now i still have to find out whether the router must behave like a radius client or like an authenticator... thanks to you i know that in the first case, i can rely on the WGR614L.

achilles
achilles's picture
Julian purple said:

Julian purple said:
Thanks for testing this, achilles!
Now i still have to find out whether the router must behave like a radius client or like an authenticator... thanks to you i know that in the first case, i can rely on the WGR614L.

It's OK Julian .... basically both a radius client and authenticator are same thing .... In some setups both the radius client and authentication server are provided on the same host while in some cases the authentication server is a remote host ... In your case it seems to me that ur authentication server is a remote host and ur AP i.e WGR614L will act as radius client ....

clemfm
clemfm's picture
I know this thread is a year

I know this thread is a year old, however I too have an 802.1x, WPA2, EAP-TLS (PKI) network (Cisco 1232 & 1250 series WAPS) and so I guess from the above I should be able to connect a router running DD-WRT as a client?