Firmware Advice for VPN & VLAN on R700

1 post / 0 new
birdbird
birdbird's picture
Firmware Advice for VPN & VLAN on R700

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice regarding which firmware you might recommend for my R7000. First, some insight into what I'm hoping to achieve.

I am currently using my R7000 for a basic home network, and am running the latest stock firmware, V1.0.7.2_1.1.93. Until now, I have been happy with the performance of the factory firmware and have had no reason to consider flashing something else in it's place.

I'm now wanting to add an IP phone in my home, from a PBX hosted at a different location. I want to configure a site-to-site VPN using DDNS between my R7000, and another router located at the PBX location. In addition to the VPN, I will require VLAN capabilities to seperate my voice and data traffic on my network.

I'm hoping that someone may have some suggestions as to which firmware I should look at using. I'm hoping to find a reliable version that not only offers the VPN and VLAN capabilties, but that also retains the level of quality I am used to for the wireless and overall speeds of my current firmware.

Do you have any suggestions? I have never used any other firmware other than the factory Netgear firmware, and am hoping to avoid having to flash several different versions to find the one I want. I'm hoping everyone's knowledge and experience here may be able to help me.

My other thought was to install another router in front of my R7000 to be used for the VPN, and having the R7000 still perform my local network functions beyond the VPN router..? Perhaps someone more experienced than myself may have some suggestions as to how I should consider confugring my network? I have a couple of Cisco857 routers that I was considering using for the site-to-site VPN, but admittedly I am not very comfortable with Cisco CLI. I could also get my hands on a couple of Linksys WRT54G's and flash them with a suitable firmware for my VPN purposes. 

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bird