Kong or Voxel for R9000 ?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
panzerscope
panzerscope's picture
Kong or Voxel for R9000 ?

Hey guys,

So I purchased the R9000 yesterday and looking at the stock firmware...it kind of sucks considering the cost of the router. I have been reasearching DD-WRT (I have used it before now and again) but I see that there is a Kong and a Voxel DD-WRT builds for this router. Could someone give me any obvious differences between the two that I should be aware of ?

I assume both support OpenVPN ?

Just looking to make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance guys.
P

Voxel
Voxel's picture
Could someone give me any

Could someone give me any obvious differences between the two that I should be aware of ?

My build is not DD-WRT. It is modified optimized build based on the stock firmware. Goal is to use all advantages of stock firmware (such as hardware accelerated drivers, Plex etc.) and optimization for concrete CPU/FPU and updated packages. Plus some stuff such as hardware acceleration of OpenSSL.

I assume both support OpenVPN ?

Supported. But probably not usual for you setup. See this article:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-set-openvpn-client-netgear-r900...

So you should decide yourself.

Voxel.

panzerscope
panzerscope's picture
Thanks for the information

Thanks for the information bud. I would likely go with yours as I would like to keep the Hardware Accelerated benefits. I am not a brilliant user of Linux but I will use your guide to get OpenVPN Setup a long with Entware and SSH. Expect some questions lol.

captainburks
captainburks's picture
Panzerscope -

Panzerscope -

Please post your results/findings/issues - I am not far behind you on this path.

Cheers

plusline
plusline's picture
Hello all,

Hello all,
I am on the same question, but already flashed to Kong dd-wrt. Can I just upgrade from Kong to Voxel out of the Gui?

By the way, is there any how to for basic setup?
I just want to use the R9000 as wifi with Astrill VPN on a fritzbox. I need something like an overview what to configure in the fritz box and what to configure in the R9000. Especially Router Mode, DNS and DHCP settings are confusing me...

noneyabitness
noneyabitness's picture
Voxel said, "

Voxel said, "

My
build is not DD-WRT. It is modified optimized build based on the stock
firmware."

I would imagine it would be necessary to flash back to the Netgear R9000 stock firmware first based upon what Voxel said, "modified optimized build based on the STOCK [emphasis] firmware."  So, if you have firmware on youir R9000 that is NOT Netgear's firmware, flashing it with Voxel will probably NOT work.  My best guess.