max diameter 200m / 100/1000 baseT after the 200m what must exist to reach eg 300m

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
lse123
lse123's picture
max diameter 200m / 100/1000 baseT after the 200m what must exist to reach eg 300m

I read somewhere that 100/1000 baseT has

• max segment 100m
  • max diameter 200m  

well this means after 100m needed REPEATER or HUB or SWITCH to reach the 200m? after the 200m what must exist to reach eg 300m?

Hands of Blue
Hands of Blue's picture
Each individual link must be

Each individual link must be no more than 100 meters. At least ever 100 meters there must be a switch or other device. To reach 300 meters you'd need a pair of switches.

Note that 1000Base-T is less tolerant of poor quality cables or connections than 100Base-T. You'll want to ensure you're using high quality cables and that the cables are within 100 meters tip to tip.

lse123
lse123's picture
So you say to extent diameter

So you say to extent diameter I need switches absolutelly, but to extent segment also can, with other similar devices like hubs, repeaters?

Hands of Blue
Hands of Blue's picture
I'm not certain about dumb

I'm not certain about dumb devices like hubs (not that you can get Gbit capable hubs), though repeaters would be more likely to work.

You may also want to consider switching to fibre instead of using copper. That has a much greater range.

lse123
lse123's picture
so with switches mainly I can

so with switches mainly I can extent 100/1000baseT as far as I want, but exist and other solutions like fiber... which may have other advantages, this is correct?

Hands of Blue
Hands of Blue's picture
Not necessarily as far as you

Not necessarily as far as you want - there are still limits.

For using fibre read this article - 5 Km can be achieved with 1000Base-LX.

In all cases the actual limits will depend on the quality of the equipment you buy, quality of the power, interference (if you're using copper) and other variables.

It would probably be best if you took your exact question to a forum that is all about networking, rather than asking vague questions here.