NTFS support on the 3500L with Kong mod

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
MichaelB
MichaelB's picture
NTFS support on the 3500L with Kong mod

Hi,

Does the DD-WRT kong mod support NTFS formatted usb drives? From what I can determine from the articles I think it should. However, my connected drive says file system not supported or disk unformatted. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael

Kong
Kong's picture
Yes it supports NTFS. If you

Yes it supports NTFS. If you login via ssh or telnet what does command:

cat /tmp/disktype.dump

show you?

MichaelB
MichaelB's picture
it shows

it shows

--- /dev/discs/disc0/disc
Block device, size 931.5 GiB (1000204886016)

Status: Not mounted - Unsupported file system or disk not formated

So it knows the disk is there. That is the right size. However, for some reason it does not think it is formatted. I know it is though because I literally just unplugged it from my Windows 7 machine and it recognized it fine. (formatted NTFS). Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

Kong
Kong's picture
I guess when you setup the

I guess when you setup the drive you must have partitioned it as dynamic disk, which does not create normal partition tables. At least there are no compatible ms dos partition tables on the disk.

MichaelB
MichaelB's picture
So I completely deleted the

So I completely deleted the partition on this disk and reformatted. It still won't mount but I get the following using the cat command. Any thoughts?

capture

Kong
Kong's picture
Hmm this is a 2TB drive,

Hmm this is a 2TB drive, obviously Windows 7 thinks it should use EFI GPT and that's were the problems start.
This feature is also not supported with the current build. I'm going to see how much bigger the kernel is going to be if this feature is included, since 2TB drives are going mainstream and more people will hit this problem.

You should use:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

To create your partitions then it should be fine.

MichaelB
MichaelB's picture
Kong said: Hmm this is a 2TB

Kong said: Hmm this is a 2TB drive, obviously Windows 7 thinks it should use EFI GPT and that's were the problems start. This feature is also not supported with the current build. I'm going to see how much bigger the kernel is going to be if this feature is included, since 2TB drives are going mainstream and more people will hit this problem. You should use: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php To create your partitions then it should be fine.

Thanks,

I finally figured it out. It actually was not a 2TB drive it was a 1TB drive. I had previously formatted it for my airport extreme and that is where the EFI GPT came from. I used diskpart from the command line and was able to format it correctly. It mounts now and I have set up the FTP connection. How do I enable Samba share though so it can be seen in windows and by XBMC as a network drive?

Thanks,

Michael