One of two computers will not connect to the Internet via WNR3500L

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Russ
Russ's picture
One of two computers will not connect to the Internet via WNR3500L

I just purchased a WNR3500L router.  Setup was easy until I tried to get my wife’s computer to work.  I have a Dell running Windows XP that connects without problem using WPA2. She has a Compac Presario F767NR notebook running Windows Vista SP 1with a built-in Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter.  The Compac with Windows Vista will work when the network is unsecured. With either the primary account or the guest account when WPA or WPA2 is used the Vista computer complains that it is connected in local only mode and will not connect to the Internet. I see on the forums that this may be common with Vista. Many people try to blame the cable modem - but since it works with one computer and not the other simultaneously this must not be the case.  Currently I use the main account with WPA2 and my wife is using the unsecured guest account.

Any suggestions on how to get her computer to work with WPA2?  Thank you, Russ

Hands of Blue
Hands of Blue's picture
Have you checked that you're

Have you checked that you're using the latest drivers for the WiFi card. Are you using the built in Windows wireless control panel for the WiFi?

I've had no problems connecting with Vista and an Intel WiFi card, so it's not a Vista problem.

Hands of Blue
Hands of Blue's picture
Have you checked that you're

Have you checked that you're using the latest drivers for the WiFi card. Are you using the built in Windows wireless control panel for the WiFi?

I've had no problems connecting with Vista and an Intel WiFi card, so it's not a Vista problem.