Open Call on 3500L

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chief Wiggum
Chief Wiggum's picture
Open Call on 3500L

Hi all,

I have had a WRT-3500L since the beginning of the year. I have tried TomatoUSB and Toastman's version of TU. I liked it but it was less stable (for me) so I am on TU.

I'd really like to be able to use the router as my media server. I have 2TB GoFlex (USB2.0) Drive hooked up to it (NTFS). I have about 1GB of media on it, and my setup crashes when it scans for media. I don't think the drive crashes. But the router drops wifi and freezes (even on wired)-- so it makes it kind of useless; especially since we have multiple devices that use wireless constantly-- Wii, Nook, smartphones, laptop, netbook...

I have no hesitation about flashing my router, so I geuss one question would be does the Kong firmware alleviate any of these issue?

And if not, what can help? I am offloading my media so I can at least reformat to Fat32 since that is faster (and I don't have HD sources for my ripped media). But any suggestions about moving to a different file would be welcome.

Thanks all...

Brandon C
Brandon C's picture
I am using Toastman's Tomato

I am using Toastman's Tomato firmware now but I do have to set the media database to be saved on the external drive.
I mount my drive and then select a custom path and use a folder on the hard drive.
If I try to use Ram or JFFS the database is to big and does the same thing you are experiencing.

Chief Wiggum
Chief Wiggum's picture
Really... Hmmm. I may take

Really... Hmmm. I may take another look at Toastman again... Would you happen to know if Kong firmwares have those issues as well?

Brandon C
Brandon C's picture
I don't know about Kong's

I don't know about Kong's firmware. I would think any firmware would have a problem if you are creating a database larger than the space available.

You would need to see if you can select a custom path for the database with Kong's.

Chief Wiggum
Chief Wiggum's picture
Brandon C said: I don't know

Brandon C said: I don't know about Kong's firmware. I would think any firmware would have a problem if you are creating a database larger than the space available. You would need to see if you can select a custom path for the database with Kong's.

I have tried but I do not know long it actually takes reaf all the media. Perhaps, it being an NTFS drive is the issue...?

Kong
Kong's picture
Hi Chief,

Hi Chief,

for larger media directories it is neccessary, that you store the db on an external media, my build also has a setting for that. In case you don't do that my builds won't crash, but minidlna will stop in such a case. DD-WRT always keep a few MB of RAM only for the OS, so processes cannot hang ddwrt in case they consume to much memory.

Chief Wiggum
Chief Wiggum's picture

Kong said: Hi Chief, for larger media directories it is neccessary, that you store the db on an external media, my build also has a setting for that. In case you don't do that my builds won't crash, but minidlna will stop in such a case. DD-WRT always keep a few MB of RAM only for the OS, so processes cannot hang ddwrt in case they consume to much memory.

(Yes, I did try that-- db on the external, and I will do it on the reformat as well...)

Can you recommend a build of your mod for me?

Also, I have off-loaded my media, so my 2TB is available to reformat... I do have a have VM of Ubuntu on my machine and I also have a Gparted Live disc around... Should I reformat to a Linux type file format? ext3/4? FAT32? NTFS?

(Thanks!)

Chief Wiggum
Chief Wiggum's picture
I actually just downloaded

I actually just downloaded and flashed 17140-samba3-ftp-usb to my 3500L.

Now just trying to figure out drive thing...