OpenVPN Setup on WNR3500L - Kong Build

1 post / 0 new
rbscairns
rbscairns's picture
OpenVPN Setup on WNR3500L - Kong Build

Finding no one with experience in using the OEM firmware with Leaf Network, I have decided to bite the bullet and try my hand at setting up an OpenVPN server on my WNR3500L router with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/20/10) vpnkong firmware. In this thread I will be asking for guidance.

Once (if) I get this set up, I will write a simple "How To" thread based on my experience.

The end result that I am looking for is that I will be able to remotely access my SOHO network via the internet using my Windows XP laptop. I need this access with only the WNR3500L router and modem turned on (all other computers turned off), hence the need to have the OpenVPN server running on the WNR3500L router.

The project as I see it:

1. My ISP allocates a to my modem a dynmatic IP address. I have opened an account with DynDNB.org believing that this will give me a way to remotely access my modem irrespective of the IP address allocated by my ISP.
  2. I need to arrange VPN passthrough on my modem. This is probably out of scope for this form.
  3. Set up OpenVPN as a server on my WNR3500L router.
  4. Set up OpenVPN as a client on my laptop.

Setting Up OpenVPN Server on the Router

I have not been able to find suitable documentation covering this using the DD-WRT GUI. It would appear that I first need to enable OpenVPN Daemon (done). I will leave the Start Type at System (default) and the Switch Server config at old style (default) as that looks the simplest to set up.

Next I will try and learn a bit about the required keys, certificates and DH PEM (whatever that is).

Am I heading down the right path?