Proper way to turn off wireless (3500L) at night?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Slick
Slick's picture
Proper way to turn off wireless (3500L) at night?

Dear all,

This might be a pretty dumb question. I recently got a WNR3500L running the latest stock firmware as I've yet to try out DD-WRT or Tomato. Anyway, according to the official Netgear website, they said this model feature a Wireless On/Off switch but I don't see one at the back of my 3500L. I also don't find any topic on the manual mentioning this feature. Do you need to turn that off by logging into the network? To make it simple, what's the proper way to turn on/off the wireless signal on this router.

Lastly, I'm just curious does turning off the router when not in use really save up to 30% of energy? I mean are there any tests out there that measures if the result is consistent with netgear's claim? What about if I flash it to Tomato/Open WRT or whatever. Do I still get this feature of turning off the wireless signal? Thanks and sorry if I sounded like a noob.

taekwon3dan
taekwon3dan's picture
There is a power on/off

There is a power on/off switch on the back, but i have not seen a wireless on/off button.

I think you can go into the GUI and disable wireless under wireless settings. I don't know whether you would save 30% but surely there would be some energy savings if the radio is not transmitting/receiving for the night.

Slick
Slick's picture
@taekwon3dan

@taekwon3dan

I don't think there's such feature on the 3500L stock firmware. Oh well, it's not really that of a big deal, I guess turning off at night seems to be the only option as I'm on a habit of going green. Thanks anyway!

Kong
Kong's picture
Hi Slick,

Hi Slick,

dd-wrt and tomato feature radio time restrictions. You can specifiy a time period for wireless operation for example radio off from 0:00 - 8:00 am if you suddenly need wireless within that time range you can use the front button on the wnr3500l to activate wireless.

Slick
Slick's picture
@Kong

@Kong

Oh really? Great man, Netgear should feel so ashamed of their feature-less firmware. It's even more ironic that they post that feature on their product info. Anyway, Kong, I'm still on the verge of choosing between DD-WRT and Tomato (as like many other guys are the same). I heard that DD-WRT degraded over the years and that Tomato had better performance and more user friendly, was that really the case? If so, I'll probably go with Tomato since I'm really on an amateur level. Thanks for you help and suggestion!!

Kong
Kong's picture
I heard that DD-WRT degraded
I heard that DD-WRT degraded over the years and that Tomato had better performance and more user friendly,

Before my dd-wrt mod this was true. My version contains various fixes + optimizations that make it even faster than tomato. Some things are done differently with tomato, maybe some features are easier to setup, but that usually depends on the user.
DD-WRT has a few more features, but regular users usually don't need these advanced features.

Therefore, both are good choices. In rare cases some feature may work on dd-wrt but not on tomato and the other way around.

P.S. Before I bought the wnr3500l I checked lots of router manuals, original firmwares usually don't have the radio schedule feature. Linksys Netgear... don't have it only one I knows that has it included in vendor firmware is AVM.
So i picked the wnr3500l because I knew I could put a firmware on it that allows to automatically turn of radio at night. Besides that you can do a lot more cool things with it.

hughes_net
hughes_net's picture
if you suddenly need wireless

if you suddenly need wireless within that time range you can use the front button on the wnr3500l to activate wireless.

Kong
Kong's picture
DD-WRT's interface has been

DD-WRT's interface has been using ajax techniques for some time now.
When was the last time you tried dd-wrt, 1y or 2y:-)

DD-WRT now features both HTB/HFSC shedulers.

P.S.: In Tomato and dd-wrt you can set a time shedule when wireless should be turned off. Seems like you're not up to date with latest development.

peterino
peterino's picture
I've just upgraded tomato to

I've just upgraded tomato to the latest version 1.28 on my Linksys WRT54GL, and I can't find any part of the GUI that allows me to set a time schedule when wireless radio should be turned off (and on again).

Can anyone give a hint where to look in the GUI? Thanks in advance!

dafek
dafek's picture
Access Restriction

Access Restriction

peterino
peterino's picture
dafek said: Access

dafek said: Access Restriction

Well, but isn't that just for what it says? I believe I could configure the router so it doesn't allow access during night. But I want the router to stop sending a signal at all, to turn off the WLAN radio completely during night.

(I have no tools to measure the radiation emitted by the router, so forgive me that I write a reply before simply "trying it out" beforehand.)

dafek
dafek's picture
i don't have tools either so

i don't have tools either so we both have to believe that when it is set to off then it is off :) at least the blue light in my 3500l went off.

and you can always decrease the signal strength, if you dont need it at full power. this will save you some energy at day also i think.

peterino
peterino's picture
Thanks, you're right. Also

Thanks, you're right. Also the light for "WLAN" on my Linksys WRT54GL goes off. And after all the "type" option for a new Access Restriction rule says "Normal Access Restriction" vs. "Disable Wireless"

Maybe "Access Restriction" is a little bit misleading as a name. Some people (like me) don't use this for security purposes but for health reasons: reducing radiation while sleeping. Just my two cents...

THANKS AGAIN for your help!

Wildgoose
Wildgoose's picture
I just recently switched to

I just recently switched to dd-wrt so I don't have the stock firmware anymore, but I distinctly remember seeing a option to turn wireless radio on/off based on time in the web ui. I set mine to turn off at 12am and turn back on at 6am, for the same reason you have stated. It works well.

I recall seeing this option after I upgraded the stock firmware to the latest one, v1.2.2.44:

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18853

New Features:
Scheduled Wi-Fi on/off.