R6200v2 not taking any firmware on this site

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
netagurion
netagurion's picture
R6200v2 not taking any firmware on this site

Hey all!

I posted in another thread that has gotten no replies so I figured I would start a new one.  I picked up an R6200v2 from Amazon.  When I got it, I imediately came to this site to get the latest firmware and upload it to my new router.

None of the firmware worked.  All of the firmware said, "Not for this device" so I went to Netgears site and downloaded the firmware for the R6200v2 just to see if maybe it was mis-labeled or something.  Sure enough, the Netgear firmware worked perfectly.

Then I tried every firmware on this site I could find for the R6200v2 and ALL of them stated they were not for my device.  What gives?  Seems like some check is in place that the firmware is not passing. 

Ideas?

TXUSA
TXUSA's picture
The device that you bought is

The device that you bought is a variant of the regular 6300v2 router. It was specifically made for Charter and has a blue stripe on the bottom (instead of the regular green one from the ones you got from a store). Technically they are both the same... the issue is that to distinguish the two the Charter version has a different ID on its motherboard. The update that you are trying to run will check the board ID before upgrading for verification purposes, and since it does not find the "regular" firmware ID it tells you that the update can not be done on this device. If you want to run DD-WRT you need to look for the Kong firware that has the "CH" addition in its filename. This one will pass the board ID check and it gives you a stable version of DD-WRT. I have done the same thing and the update was painless.

TXUSA
TXUSA's picture
Additionally, if you wish to

Additionally, if you wish to turn this Charter router into a "regular" 6300v2 you have to open up the router, buy a USB-TTL UART cable and access it that way to change the board ID permanently. I have not done it but instructions can be found in the 6300v2 forum. If you manage to complete this task you can use the "regular" 6300v2 firmware for DD-WRT, or even the stock Netgear firmware that you can download on the Netgear website.

TXUSA
TXUSA's picture
Oh, my bad... I just noticed

Oh, my bad... I just noticed you put down 6200 instead of 6300. But I assume that the problem is the same... does it have a blue stripe ?

netagurion
netagurion's picture
All of this info was

All of this info was extremely helpful! I will look for the blue/green stripe when I get home and follow up.  Just an fyi, I did download the latest firmware from Netgear and apply it.  I am guessing they have sorted this out in their firmware somehow.  

Can I ask.. do I lose or gain any functionality by having this "Charter" version?

Also, is this the cable you are talking about?  

Armorview PL2303HX USB To TTL To UART RS232 COM Cable Module Converter

Thanks in advance!!

TXUSA
TXUSA's picture
@netagurion: I am surprised

@netagurion: I am surprised that the Netgear update worked. The cable you listed seems to be the right one. If you check your Amazon order, does it specifically say 6200 or 6300 ? IF you have the Charter version (that was just my suspicion) then you aren't losing any functionality. It is only a matter of "labeling" the device differently internally. But yes I would double check what version you have (looking on the sticker on the back helps too) and go from there.

netagurion
netagurion's picture
Here is what I purchased from

Here is what I purchased from Amazon.

Netgear AC1200 Dual Band Gigabit Smart WiFi Router (R6200) (Certified Refurbished)

Thanks for confirming the cable info.  Do you have a link to a CH version of Kong's build?  I tried to PM Kong but it is disabled.

This is the version I was trying to use, but it did not work either.

http://myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-kong-mod-netgear-r6300-v2-k3-jan...

TXUSA
TXUSA's picture
Hmmm you have a 6200 then

Hmmm you have a 6200 then indeed... yes whatever you are trying to flash has to be specifically for the 6200 (or 6200v2) if you have that one. I found this, which was posted specifically for the 6200v2 in the download section

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-firmware-netgear-r6200-v2-7-...

TXUSA
TXUSA's picture
Here's a posting for 6200v1

Here's a posting for 6200v1 but there's no further comments on it

http://myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-28-oct-2014-r6200v1

netagurion
netagurion's picture
Just checked my router.

Just checked my router.  There is no green stripe.  I tried to load the http://myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-kong-mod-netgear-r6300v2-ch-june... CH firmware and that failed as well.

What gives?

netagurion
netagurion's picture
Just checked my router.

Just checked my router.  There is no green stripe.  I tried to load the http://myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-kong-mod-netgear-r6300v2-ch-june... CH firmware and that failed as well.

What gives?

netagurion
netagurion's picture
Now that I am looking in the

Now that I am looking in the right spot (bottom front right?) there is no lit up stripe at all.  I am not connected to the internet on the router.  Is that why there is no stripe or is this thing broken?

Marc Esser
Marc Esser's picture
Hi, i can confirm that this

Hi, i can confirm that this firmware works.

I have the same router and run a vpn over pptp with it.

Just dont forget to clear the settings / reset to factory settings before and after the upgrade.

And what ever you do, dont flash this firmware over an other router or you may brick it.

Use a kabel to your computer while your not connected to another network. 1 on 1 connection.

Good luck.yes