R6250 + Tomato = FAIL

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mastec
Mastec's picture
R6250 + Tomato = FAIL

I have been a fan of Tomato almost from day 1.  I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, a ASUS WL-500GPv2 and two WNR3500L, v1 & v2, with Tomato by Shibby.  All of them worked flawlessly and had been super happy.  So when I decided to go with a dual band router, Netgear R6250, as the main router in my home network I was looking forward to loading Tomato on it as well.  It was super easy to upgrade and performed well after a reboot, but from there it went downhill,  2.4 and 5.0 wifi slowed to a crawl after only a few minutes.  My phone connected at 150 Mbps on 2.4 for about 5 minutes and then would drop to 5 most of the time.  My Samsung tablet would connect at 450 Mbps on 5.0 then drop to 54 down to 15.  I spent several days Googling for any solution to fix this problem and nothing worked.  I thought it might be a bad router so I returned the first one to Best Buy, after reinstalling Netgear firmware, and exchanged it for a new one, same results.  This morning I reverted back to the Netgear firmware and after 25 minutes the speeds are still where they should be with no slow down.  I'm really disappointed Tomato didn't work on the R6250 like it does on my other routers.

mozic
mozic's picture
Exactly same problem, seems

Exactly same problem, seems something broken in TOMATO's 2.4G module.

rdoram
rdoram's picture
Ditto, same experience for me

Ditto, same experience for me with Tomato (Shibby).  I did try DD-WRT for awhile and found that it seemed to work a little better, but I just can't bring myself to use it on a regular basis for some reason.  I did come across some post in the DD-WRT forums that I recall stating that Tomato had an issue with this router due to it's use of the Linux 2.6 kernel and DD-WRT didn't suffer the same issues because it used 3.+...  I have no idea if that's true or not as I can't verify the specifics myself.  Anyways, I just use mine as an AP, so keeping a 3rd party firmware on it didn't really matter to me.  I switched back to stock on the r6250 and am still using my old ASUS RT-N16 as my router and secondary AP.

pwvandeursen
pwvandeursen's picture
Hoiw do I get back to stock? 

Hoiw do I get back to stock? 

I tried to flash the stock firmware downloaded from netgear, but it does reset, however it stays in dd-wrt software...

Mastec
Mastec's picture
I know this is a little old

I know this is a little old and don't know if you found a solution but this is what I followed to go from Tomato to Netgear.  DD-WRT might be the same if you can find the right files and procedures, I honestly don't know.  There must be similar files out there to revert back.

https://youtu.be/rNIpBJPRogY

Mastec
Mastec's picture
I decided to give Tomato

I decided to give Tomato another chance this morning.  I was so sick of the limited settings on Netgear Genie.  I installed the latest Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 -132 K26ARM USB AIO-64K and after some tweaking here and tweaking there, my wireless is running as if I'm still using Netgear Genie.  I have a 100 Mbps download and 11 Mbps upload, my last speed test was 117 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up.   I have no clue what setting, or settings did it.  Because I'd change a few then test the speed.  I seriously doubt this has anything to do with it but when it failed before I was using the VPN version.  Today I installed the AIO version.  Don't know if there's some extra tweaks compared to VPN version that I might have changed.  But anyway, I'm not complaining and so happy to be back using Tomato, life feels normal again.  HAHAHAHAHA