R6400 First Flash

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
mpalermo73
mpalermo73's picture
R6400 First Flash

Hey!

I recently bought an R6400 and as I'm sure many found, the stock firmware is pretty... limited... which got me to this project.

I'm no stranger to DD-WRT, or Linux in general (my personal machines have been running Linux since the late 90's and I'm typing this on one of my Gentoo machines now ;-) ), *but* I am stranger to going from a stock firmware to DD-WRT.  The top of the firmware page for the R6400 only says:

Firmware Upgrade Procedure:-
=============================
Always use the following steps to upgrade your firmware.

- Perform reset to factory defaults setting in existing Firmware.
- Perform Firmware Upgrade.
- Perform reset to factory defaults setting in newly upgraded DD-WRT Firmware.
- Use DD-WRT in your router.

This reads as in reference to upgrading an existing DD-WRT install, not going from stock --> DD-WRT.  Is this all there really is to it?  I just go to the firmware update page in the stock firmware and feed it the DD-WRT .bin instead?

THANK YOU!

M.
RetroLove
RetroLove's picture
Yes, pretty much. I wish they

Yes, pretty much. I wish they updated the firmware.

RetroLove
RetroLove's picture
BTW the instructions apply to

BTW the instructions apply to stock --> DD-WRT. Remember resetting to default settings before upgrading the firmware and afterwards.

mpalermo73
mpalermo73's picture
Hey!

Hey!

Thank you for the reply.  It is good to know that it really is that straight forward.  I am also heeding the advice on pre and post reset to default action.

THANK YOU!

M.

thephoenics
thephoenics's picture
Are there any steps I can

Are there any steps I can take so that I can recover my Original firmware back in case the router gets bricked or I start facing issues because of DD-WRT? I am unable to find a detailed guide in this regard, can anyone please point me to one :)?