r6400v2 and Centurylink VLAN - cannot get internet connection without bridge

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
GhotiHeads
GhotiHeads's picture
r6400v2 and Centurylink VLAN - cannot get internet connection without bridge

Recently upgraded to fiber with Centurylink.  Then went on a quest to get a router to replace the Zyxel they give you -- got the r6400 and using this guide, I bypassed the Zyxel: https://kmwoley.com/blog/bypassing-needless-centurylink-wireless-router-...

Then I decided I wanted to get a VPN, bought a subscription to NordVPN and promptly found out I needed DD-WRT.  So flashed the router, got it onto DD-WRT -- now I can't get the ONT to accept the rotuer without using the Zyxel as a bridge.  I've got the WAN port assignment VLAN tagging set to 201, but I cannot establish a connection directly between the R6400v2 and the ONT.  Anyone have any idea of how to fix this?  Thanks in advance for any insight.

sixfingeredamish
sixfingeredamish's picture
Hey GhotiHeads,

Hey GhotiHeads,

Fellow Centurylink and R6400 user here. DD-WRT has issues with VLAN tagging. You need to set tagging to 201, however, DD-WRT doesn't do tagging over 15 for most hardware. This means DD-WRT + R6400 will not work with Centurylink.

Your only option if you want to use VPN from the router is to use Tomato, or to use a managed switch. Connect the switch to the ONT, use it for VLAN tagging, then output that into the R6400 and just do the PPPoE stuff there.

sixfingeredamish
Hey GhotiHeads,

Hey GhotiHeads,

Fellow Centurylink and R6400 user here. DD-WRT has issues with VLAN tagging. You need to set tagging to 201, however, DD-WRT doesn't do tagging over 15 for most hardware. This means DD-WRT + R6400 will not work with Centurylink.

Your only option if you want to use VPN from the router is to use Tomato, or to use a managed switch. Connect the switch to the ONT, use it for VLAN tagging, then output that into the R6400 and just do the PPPoE stuff there.

sixfingeredamish
Hey GhotiHeads,

Hey GhotiHeads,