R8000 - DD-WRT extremely poor performance

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
gennadiv
gennadiv's picture
Hi Dickey,

Hi Dickey,
As an workaround - do not use the same SSID for both 5Ghz radios, which is mimicking stock feature - Smart Connect... This one seems not properly implemented or tested on ddwrt.
Instead use different SSID for all 3 radios, as well as different channels.
For 5Ghz - for 1 radio use lowerlower - channel 36 and for the second one use upperupper with the channel 161
That might do the work. Still stock firmware for some reason has better throughput as I am getting over 320Mbps (ISP provides me 250Mbps), however with ddwrt - I am getting to 240Mbps max

aruffell
aruffell's picture
This thread is focused on

This thread is focused on wireless settings to maximize speed, however I have a very similar issue on my wired network. Prior to upgrading my R8000 to DD-WRT I was measuring close to 1 Gbps up/down internet speeds (no not speeds on my internal network) but after the upgrade to DD-WRT I am barely getting to 300 or 350Mbps. I have seen dramatic decreases when ATT has had issues so this may be premature... however I have always seen a near full gigabit on Sunday evenings so I am suspecting there is a firmware issue. If tomorrow the speed is unchanged I will have to revert back to stock to see if the issue goes away.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to maximize ISP WAN speed? I have another thread on this forum that got no replies or views as if it were hidden... I think it may be viewable now so if this is not the right place to respond to me given my issue is not on the wireless side, please do so there.

Thanks!

cableguy187
cableguy187's picture
aruffell said: This thread is

aruffell said: This thread is focused on wireless settings to maximize speed, however I have a very similar issue on my wired network. Prior to upgrading my R8000 to DD-WRT I was measuring close to 1 Gbps up/down internet speeds (no not speeds on my internal network) but after the upgrade to DD-WRT I am barely getting to 300 or 350Mbps. I have seen dramatic decreases when ATT has had issues so this may be premature... however I have always seen a near full gigabit on Sunday evenings so I am suspecting there is a firmware issue. If tomorrow the speed is unchanged I will have to revert back to stock to see if the issue goes away. Does anyone have suggestions on how to maximize ISP WAN speed? I have another thread on this forum that got no replies or views as if it were hidden... I think it may be viewable now so if this is not the right place to respond to me given my issue is not on the wireless side, please do so there. Thanks!

Has this speed issue been confirmed and if so, has it been addressed?

I am thinking about flashing but don't want any headaches..

aruffell
aruffell's picture
Hi Cableguy187,

Hi Cableguy187,

I have not heard back one comment on the issue so nobody has confirmed the issue however I had another router that I had been using for a long time with DD-WRT and a 50 Mbit connection and never had any issues with speed. When I installed 1Gbps internet connection that router was only able to handle up to 300Mbps so I thought it was due to the couple year old router (top of the line, but from a few years ago). I purchased the R8000 and I was able to get speeds of up to 980 Mbps or so however as soon as I installed DD-WRT the speed crashed down to 300Mbps or so... therefore I am left to assume that the issue is related to DD-WRT and not the hardware.

You can always save your current config, install DD-WRT, test it out and revert back to stock if you get the same performance I do, however if your ISP speed is less than 300Mbps then you will likely not see any performance degradation.

My ISP is ATT Uverse and the service I have is GigaPower (1Gbps up/down)

cableguy187
cableguy187's picture
aruffell said: Hi Cableguy187

aruffell said: Hi Cableguy187, I have not heard back one comment on the issue so nobody has confirmed the issue however I had another router that I had been using for a long time with DD-WRT and a 50 Mbit connection and never had any issues with speed. When I installed 1Gbps internet connection that router was only able to handle up to 300Mbps so I thought it was due to the couple year old router (top of the line, but from a few years ago). I purchased the R8000 and I was able to get speeds of up to 980 Mbps or so however as soon as I installed DD-WRT the speed crashed down to 300Mbps or so... therefore I am left to assume that the issue is related to DD-WRT and not the hardware. You can always save your current config, install DD-WRT, test it out and revert back to stock if you get the same performance I do, however if your ISP speed is less than 300Mbps then you will likely not see any performance degradation. My ISP is ATT Uverse and the service I have is GigaPower (1Gbps up/down)

Thanks for the reply..

I am only 100mbit so if the problem exists, i would not be able to confirm..

I'll give it a try and post what I find, the main reason for WRT is for the filtering and access control for the kids.

Thanks

cableguy187
cableguy187's picture
Can someone with both 5ghz

Can someone with both 5ghz channels working with one ssid please post their settings?

I can't get the bonding to work..

gennadiv
gennadiv's picture
Hi,

Hi,
There is not much to do - all what you should be configuring is the same SSID for both 5Ghz radios, however channels should be different
You should not expect your performance will jump up, as all what it does is giving you way wider range for your devices
I didn't test it on the latest release, however on the very first one i had crazy downgraded performance so I stopped to use it
I suggest instead to use one 5 radio for most important connectivities as IPTV, etc and the second one use for others
then you won't have tons of the devices on the same radio

Hope it helped

mcauduro
mcauduro's picture
Anyone did a test in the last

Anyone did a test in the last release ? Does the performance issues still happens ?

cableguy187
cableguy187's picture
Hi, I tried the current

Hi, I tried the current version and had several issues.. One being I could not get the channel bonding to work at all.

I am going to wait until this is more 'polished' as this version seems buggy.

cableguy187
cableguy187's picture
Do you have an ETA on the

Do you have an ETA on the next update?

I would really like to use this but need the bugs ironed out..

Thanks

maglub
maglub's picture
I can confirm the poor WAN

I can confirm the poor WAN bandwidth issue mentioned, both on R8000 and R7000.

I set up the R7000 and R8000 more or less identically, connecting the WAN port to my internal network, then connected my computer to an ethernet port on the R7000 and R8000 (not at the same time).

Installed K3_R8000_25-Nov-2014.chk on the R8000 and K3_R7000_15-Dec-2014 on the R7000.

When connected directly on my LAN (bypassing R7000 and R8000) I can copy files from my NAS at speeds up to ca 100MByte per second. When going over the R7000 or R8000, I flat out at ca 300Mbit.

Mojolacerator2
Mojolacerator2's picture
I flashed DD-WRT on my R8000,

I flashed DD-WRT on my R8000, worked great, reboots on it's own every night and goes back to DD-WRT factory defaults, complete with password reset prompt. Reverted to Factory Image which sucks because DD-WRT was significantly faster. Just don't want to setup my router every morning, hope DD developers fix that issue. I will re-flash DD when it is stated that this issue is fixed.

catalystoz
catalystoz's picture
OK I have decided that the

OK I have decided that the DD0WRT firmware is not worth keeping at the moment, so what is the procedure to going back to stock firmware?

FYI my internet speed is halved and i cant get a stable connection on my 5G wifi. All was great on the stock firmware.

siqueira
siqueira's picture
I have seen many complains

I have seen many complains about poor performance and bugs, a few people trying to help, but seems to be users as well. I'm new to Netgear and DD-WRT, so i'm not familiar with the users here and don't know whether they belong to dev team or not. But I'm wondering about a few things...

Has there been any reply from someone from dev team?

What do they say?

What are the plans to fix all these issues?

Wasn't the moto for opensource community the line "the whole world can work together and make better software and correct bugs faster"? ... or something similar with the same meaning, I guess.

Menne.0201
Menne.0201's picture
hi friends, iam new in this

hi friends, iam new in this forum and i have an R 8000. can i language german in the firmware speichern. or is this english. sorry for my anser iam from germany.

menne

Eternalx
Eternalx's picture
DD-WRT v3.0-r28000M (10/24/15

DD-WRT v3.0-r28000M (10/24/15) is the most stable version thus far for me, I have tried Kongs new version but they seem to drop out at least for my unit, and malfunction. I shall stay with the build I just noted until I can test newer stuff that isnt too buggy. Keep up good work @ Komg regardless. :)

gemohler
gemohler's picture
Necroposting is fun..

Necroposting is fun..

This post solved a LOT of issues on wifi.

Went from 90Mbit to 350Mbit

Pages