Real throughput for WNR3500L

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pepo
Pepo's picture
Real throughput for WNR3500L

Hi all.

I'm planning to buy  the WNR3500L ... a soon as i found a shop thar ships to spain. My main question is if it could manage my qnap TS-119 45 MB/s throughput. Could please somebody post a real throughput test ... for example copying in vista a file from lan to lan?

Thanks a lot

Pepo

mic
mic's picture
Hi,

Hi,

this router should be able to manage 45 MByte/s without any problems if the clents are connected via the GBit ethernet ports.
The question is more or less if the client is powerfull enough to provide a throughput off 45 MB/s.

Off course it will not work by design if the clients are connected via WLAN.

greets
Michael

Pepo
Pepo's picture
could it be close to 55 MB/s?

Ragi
Ragi's picture
Pepo said:

Pepo said:

I don’t think
it’s possible through wireless, theoretically 300 megabit / 8 = 37.5 megabyte
per second.

If u mean
transfer through a gigabit cable, 55 MB/s isn’t that difficult, I have a netgear
switch (Jumbo Frame enabled) and a Readynas NVX, the read speed through LAN is

Truls
Truls's picture
gigabit throughput can easily

gigabit throughput can easily reach 125MB/s. The problem is your tcp implementation and if you have a fast enough drive. One tcp connection can be limited by sliding window implementation. I can easily serve 125MB/s with my 6 disk software raid5 array. But one client without a SSD disk or a drive array won't be able to receive that.

Pepo
Pepo's picture
Truls said:

Truls said:
gigabit throughput can easily reach 125MB/s. The problem is your tcp implementation and if you have a fast enough drive. One tcp connection can be limited by sliding window implementation. I can easily serve 125MB/s with my 6 disk software raid5 array. But one client without a SSD disk or a drive array won't be able to receive that.

Sure? Why the wndr3700 (apparently faster) is just a max of 473 Mbps?

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30925-start-you...

Truls
Truls's picture
Oh i am sorry i thought you

Oh i am sorry i thought you meant lan to lan speed. I am not even close to gigabit speeds on my wan connection. If you need that i would go for a professional router.

mic
mic's picture
It sounds for me too that he

It sounds for me too that he talked about a LAN-to-LAN connection. There was no word abou LAN-to-WAN througput. Anyway, the test you've linked is not very useful.

For real Gigabit connections you need:
- good cable quality not a cheap UTP cable.
- a powerful network card. Not that cheap on-board broadcom or realtek crap.
- and last but not least a powerful computer hard drives.

Very often the rest of the hardware isn't powerful enough to reach gigabit connections.

To WLAN: The little calculation does not show the reality. There is much overhead. As likely as not you will not reach less then 150 MBit/s (depending of the quality of the connection, their hardware, encryption etc.)

Bannditz
Bannditz's picture
Quality cable need not be

Quality cable need not be expensive; if you can follow wiring codes you can make custom CAT6E by purchasing bulk cable and RJ-45 endcaps for less than ten cents a wire foot (and that's for thousand-foot pull-boxes, available from any electrical-supply house). 

Go for STP tho' - shielded twisted pair

The cable is the weakest link when it comes to backbone wiring; whatever you do, don't skimp there!  (Yes; that will likely mean custom cabling and checking each crimp yourself; still, how else can you be sure that it's done right?)  And as far as *power*, quality cabling can make even inexpensive chipsets (such as Broadcom and RealTek, both of  which are used heavily in corporate PCs) perform like stars.   Still, the rating of even the best cable is attained over distances less than the no-repeater ceiling for ALL Ethernet of one hundred meters (a mere three-hundred fifty feet).  Keep cable runs as short as possible, and use the highest-quality cabling you can (if you have the skill, make your own).

actually 90 meters, and that's only if you are using solid wire - and it's called the horizontal wiring.  The only time stranded wire, like in the common patch cables you buy, should be used is yes, the shortest possilbe and only from the NIC to the wall jack where the horizontal wiring starts. Although what I do for units that are mostly not getting moved around is just run the solid wire right to the machine so there is no connection loss. I've even solderd it onto a unit once.

Also, how would you rate *Intel's* Ethernet chips? Or those of erstwhile competition nVidia or AMD?

Intel chips really are the best, interchangeably with 3COM.