Recover WGR614L when there is only CFE ?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Syed Yasir Imtiaz
Syed Yasir Imtiaz's picture
Recover WGR614L when there is only CFE ?

The flash chip of my WGR614L was corrupted. Therefore I got new flash chip and then designed a hardware board with ATMEL ATMega8535L microcontroller. I then programmed the flash chip and put CFE on it using the microcontroller.

Now I want to get some help from you guys that what method should i adopt to put firmware on the router.
TFTP or Jtag method ?
Whichever you suggest kindly give me some instructions on how to use them when there is only CFE on the flash chip.

Thanks in advance

Syed Yasir Imtiaz
how could i go to the cfe

how could i go to the cfe prompt ?

should i use the telnetenable utility ?

i have used telnetenable utility to get the backup of the router already and used tftp put commands to get the backup.

it gave me mtd0,mtd1......mtd6 files.

Syed Yasir Imtiaz
I think you are using these

I think you are using these commands as you expect that i am using the serial port method.
but I dont have a serial cable.

I have only made a Jtag connection with the router.

Syed Yasir Imtiaz
Actually As you would know

Actually As you would know that it requires a dedicated serial cable ... it is not available in my area currently :)

So I think I have to make a serial cable for this operation ... that is why i was avoiding it ... I thought that telnetenable utility could solve my problem ...

but if serial is the only option then I think i would have to get a serial cable ...

Syed Yasir Imtiaz
Bootloader is in CFE I guess

Bootloader is in CFE I guess ...

So, As I have written CFE in the flash so does it mean that Bootloader will be ok ???

Syed Yasir Imtiaz
No no ..

No no ..

I had got the back up of whole flash, Kernel and CFE with Jtag in advance before doing anything with my router.

Now, As I told you I have programmed a new flash ... I have written the CFE that I had already taken through Jtag ..

Would it be fine ??

P.S Now I am wondering that should I write CFE or BSP into the flash ??
Jtag has also got backup of BSP (320KB)

Syed Yasir Imtiaz
I think my CFE is not correct

I think my CFE is not correct ...

Can you tell me about the LED behaviour of the router ..

I mean that I have flash the CFE on an empty flash so there is only CFE there .. How should the LEDs blink to show that CFE is written properly ..

When my firmware got corrupted then the power LED was constantly blinking ...

I assume that if CFE is written there then power LED should blink constantly ..

but when i turn on the router ... All the LEDs are tunned on ... some of them are green and some are Orange ..

Syed Yasir Imtiaz
Is there a way to check that

Is there a way to check that CFE is correct or not without having the serial cable ?

Syed Yasir Imtiaz
Can I get a good working CFE

Can I get a good working CFE for WGR614L here ?
I have seen somewhere that we can also use some other CFE by changing its MAC address.

Can anyone provide some guidance to me in this issue ?

Syed Yasir Imtiaz
I assume that CFE is not

I assume that CFE is not correct because:

1. Due to the LED behavior (all LEDs are turned on and no one is blinking)

2. As I told you that I already took the backup of CFE, wholeflash etc by using Jtag.

I had taken 3 copies of each of them ... I compared them using hex edit by watching different bytes. They were same in those locations.

But ...

Now I have written a code to compare two binary files byte by byte and have seen lots of differences between 2 different copies of CFE or wholeflash ... :-S

It means that the jtag backup that i have taken was not reliable (or the jtag utility (tornado)) ...

Therefore, I think that the CFE i m trying to load may be correct may be not ...

So I asked you if you could provide me a working CFE.

I can give you my MAC address (I think there are some tools that can generate CFE if you give them MAC address).

MAC address of my router is:

00:22:3F:22:E8:E6

retro98
retro98's picture
There are 2 CFE versions (1.3

There are 2 CFE versions (1.3 and 1.5) available in the download section of this site for the wgr614l. If I remember, you also noted you have a CFE backup via tftp using the router's CLI in another thread.

I believe the wgr614l MAC address is configured in board_data partition of flash memory, and is separate from the CFE itself. That means the CFE cannot run unattended if the rest of flash memory is blank. You must to connect to the unit's TTL RS-232 serial interface to interact with the CFE.

So the (rough) recovery steps are:

. Restore the CFE via jtag
. Connect to the router's serial interface.
. Boot CFE and type ctrl-c to get the CFE prompt. This will also validate whether the CFE is good.
. Set up temporary MAC address of unit (ifconfig command). Set up the router's NIC.
. Set up temporary board_id (setenv command).
. Run tftpd at CFE prompt.
. Transfer and flash netgear factory firmware via tftp from PC.
. Boot netgear firmware.
. Use commands including "burnmac" to program the board_data partition in flash.

I no longer have a router available that I can use to try these steps myself, so I don't have the exact commands to type off hand, and I will not be able to verify if the steps actually work.