7 posts / 0 new
Last post
latifhorst
latifhorst's picture
Speed Drop of 75% (100mb down to 25mb)

Hey folks hoping you can help.

I just flashed my new 8500 with

DD-WRTv3.0-r30020M _06_26_16

My stock firmware gives me a speed of 102mbs and when i flash with DD-WRTv3.0-r30020M the speed drops to just 24mbs

this is with a wired connection not wireless..

To ensure this was the issue correct I went back and forth between the stock and WRT builds a few times and it is for sure the WRT build causing the speed drop

any thoughts guidance thanks

blakehh
blakehh's picture
That happened to me too....

That happened to me too.... Lemme first admit I am a total noob as this is my first DD-WRT firmware experience and I donno how many times in the last few days I've downloaded the stock bin from Nethear and almost gave up convincing myself it wasn't worth it. Well it is worth it. Every time enter the configuration ui I find a new feature that I can't live without and I usually find something stupid I've done settings wise and fix it.... But I finally digress....

Speaking to the incredible loss of bandwidth  (I run 350down 28-30up)  after the initial flash I was certain these Open WRT people were nuts and like to break things only to fix them lol. Not the case. Without seeing your setup specifically how you have the wl's setup what I can tell you is my loss of speed was a result of the worst combination of setting for each wl. That being said what did was reset to factory (kong's firmware naturally not Netgear) then I went it and slowly set setting by setting. When it comes to the wl's I can't stress this enough ... The single most important thing I have read on configuring the firmware is ... When adjusting the setting on the wl's for each field and each setting enter the setting hit save and hit apply. FOR EACH ONE! Every time I made a change I hit save the apply and the next setting had different options then my first time around when I tore thru the setting hitting save and apply at the end. 

Ultimately my speed was returned even enhanced when my settings were tweaked correctly for three things : type of wifi a, c b g n etc , correct channel width (I never saw the 80hz option when I first tore through the settings) , and the correct ticks for turbo and qam1024 . This along with a trial and error approach to channels extension channels and the three setting I mentioned before led to throughputs  of 2166 on wl0 and wl2 and 72-100 on wl1. Even today I had to tweak a little as I actually do own a device that requires N access. Anyway id be glad to send you my settings and go through what I did step by step of it could help. Jist remember I'm brand new to this and probably have learned just enough to be disastrous lol.

I've moved on to setting up NAS and VPN... I haven't written a script in well forever so needles to say I'm experimenting with win 10's new Ubuntu on Bash on Windows 10 1607.... Lol so needless to say I'll be up a while .

blake 

latifhorst
latifhorst's picture
Hey Blake

Hey Blake

Thanks for the info and yes I would love it if you would share your settings with me.

What I am confused about most is that the speed / bandwidth issue is the same while using WIRED connection and no WiFi.  So I am not clear how the wifi settings are effecting this.

ANyway here is my setup...

My set up is:

wl0:

WIreless Mode: AP

Network Mode: AC/N Mixed

WIreless Channel : 157 (5.785MHz)

Channel width : 80

Extension channel : upper lower

Optimize : enable

NitroQAM : enable

beamforming : disable for both

airtime fairness: disable

network config : bridged

I have not touched any of the wl0 advanced settings.

wl1:

Network Mode: N Only

WIreless Channel : 7 (2.442MHz)

Channel width : 40

Extension channel : upper

TurboQAM : enable

I have not touched any of the wl1 advanced settings.

Wl2

Network Mode: AC/N Mixed

WIreless Channel : 60 (5.3MHz)

Channel width : 80

Extension channel : upper lower

NitroQAM : enable

I have not touched any of the wl2 advanced settings.

PLease advise ... thanks

latifhorst
latifhorst's picture
Hey folks hoping you can help

Hey folks hoping you can help.

latifhorst
latifhorst's picture
Hello

Hello

not sure how these forums work. have i done something wrong ?

Is my post just a stupid question / issue or is there just no one on this site to help... I am really confused. It seems this is a pretty common issue and there is only one reply in several days.

callmemurf
callmemurf's picture
Same here!  I had dd-wrt on a

Same here!  I had dd-wrt on a buffalo tech router that held up very well for 4+.  DD-WRT on this top of the line Netgear is killing me in terms of speed.  Any ideas anybody has is greatly appreciated.  

TenBeers
TenBeers's picture
Not a lot of activity here on

Not a lot of activity here on this 8500 forum, maybe due to this model being pretty expensive.  But, here was my first brief experience with the latest DD-WRT as of this post:

My router came back up and seemed to work fine for wired connections.  Older devices also connected to the  2.4GHz radio successfully.  However, I could not get any devices to connect to the 5GHz radios.  Tried several settings to no avail -- devices could see the networks but could not connect.  I had to return to the latest factory firmware before mutiny ensued.

I would try again if anyone can post any pointers on how to configure the 5GHz radios to work.