Toastman -1.28.7475.2

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Toastman
Toastman's picture
Toastman -1.28.7475.2

May 30 2011 - 1.28.7475.2  for latest series of router with Kernel 26 MIPSR2

June 2 2011 - 1.28.7821 for WRT series routers etc - Kernel 26 MIPSR1

The search for a stable build for everyone!

Analyzing forum posts and mail, and taking on board people's comments -  I went back to use build 7466 as a base, since a great many people seem to think that version was very stable. I have added most of the best mods and bugfixes since that date and some important toolchain and build changes from Fedor's later posts. Plus a few usb and ipv6 tweaks that look useful and the E4200 mac address bugfix.  I have tried to keep BCM fast NAT and CTF out of it, as these two "features" seemed to be responsible for a fair number of problems.

My builds also contain ftpput and ftpget.

That brings us to Toastman-RT version 1.28.7475.2 and the MIPSR1 version, 1.28.7821 - let's see if this satisfies a few more people. I am hoping this will be the most stable version for some time.

A few changes:

CPU info method changed to Victek "sysinfo". CPU chipset, clock frequency, and amount of NVRAM -  now added to Overview page.

I have made another attempt to set the CPU frequency which should keep people happy.

There is now a reasonable selection of clock frequencies 188-266 MHz for the earlier routers, and 400-532MHz for the more recent and faster routers. Two parameters are set, for the WRT etc. (legacy) machines they represent CPU clock and backplane frequency. For the later series routers such as the RT-N16 etc. they represent CPU clock and memory clock frequency. The third (backplane) frequency isn't set because it isn't necessary. This therefore makes it possible to use just the two parameters for all routers.  

The "default" setting sets no clock frequency in nvram ("") so the router's default is not changed.

There are several builds including Victek's Captive Portal based on NoCat Splash (splashd). If you use this feature, please don't worry about the startup log containing many restarts until splashd finally begins. It is because it is checking other processes.

Have fun with these new builds!

thw
thw's picture
Hi -- thanks for your work on

Hi -- thanks for your work on this! I've been inpressed by 7466. Question though, what is the difference between the 7475, 7475.1 and 7475.2 builds? Should we use the latest 'dot' version, or the base 7475 version? Thanks.

Toastman
Toastman's picture
I would always use the latest

I would always use the latest one, (currently .2). Each increase of .1 means a small (insignificant) change, not worth a new number. Basically they're all the same version with some of the older git commits  slowly reinstated.

The NOCAT splash build seems to work very well and deserves more recognition. However, I guess most people don't need it - it's useful for apartment blocks and small ISP's.

The history of the build is in the readme.txt file.

This is a screenshot of the portal setup page, adapted from Tomato-RAF by Victek.

Integration into Tomato by Victek and Roadkill, thanks guys!

And a sample splash banner - you can make your own custom version:

Toastman
Toastman's picture
Build 7821-ND K26 MIPSR1 for

Build 7821-ND K26 MIPSR1 for WRT series etc. routers now posted.

Please remember that K26 builds on the earlier MIPSR1 routers seem to run more slowly, use more memory, and are less responsive (feel sluggish). Your CPU loads may be higher than using K24.

I have not had much luck lately with compiling K24 builds, but when I do, I'll post here.

That completes things for a while, unless any more bugs are found.

Brandon C
Brandon C's picture
7475.2 No Cat has worked fine

7475.2 No Cat has worked fine for me on my WNR3500.
It would be nice to be ale to exclude certain addresses from having to go through the approval process.

I like the new clock set and sysinfo too.

Thanks for the updates!

Toastman
Toastman's picture
Unless I have mistaken your

Unless I have mistaken your question, this is there already - the "MAC ADRRESS WHITELIST". I haven't tried it yet, must get around to it one of these days.

Brandon C
Brandon C's picture
No that you mentioned it I do

No that you mentioned it I do see it. Would any device like a Tivo, cell phone, DVD player etc need to be put on the whitelist to make sure they are excluded?

Toastman
Toastman's picture
I guess anything that needs

I guess anything that needs to access the internet that can't press the "Accept" button is a prime candidate for the whitelist.

cbgoodbuddy
cbgoodbuddy's picture
This is my first try using a

This is my first try using a "Toastman" build.

So far "tomato-K26-1.28.7821MIPSR1-Toastman-ND-MiniIPv6" is working fine on my WRT54GL (4MB). It's also my first time to use IPv6. The internet is all new and shiny now.

Toastman
Toastman's picture
Do remember that K26 builds

Do remember that K26 builds for the earlier MIPSR1 routers are bigger, take more memory, run more slowly, and generally feel more "sluggish". CPU utilization is often quite high.

I have had a lot of trouble trying to compile some decent K24 builds based on this code, but with mixed results. And there's no ipv6 on them either. You can't do so much with 4MB flash.

At the end of the day, it's really time to move on to a better router, and maybe use your old one as an AP!

Toastman
Toastman's picture
Well, I was inspired - I did

Well, I was inspired - I did a K24 MIPSR1 build, tried it on a few WRT54GL AP's and it seems to work nicely. No guarantees, but this could be an improvement in speed over the K26 ones.

There is a small bug - the Transfer rates do not show correctly, they keep incrementing. This is because the feature was apparently never finished for K2.4 ... maybe we can get it fixed soon. But until then, it will be removed from the menu.

1.28.7621, posting shortly.

cbgoodbuddy
cbgoodbuddy's picture
I upgraded for the chance to

I upgraded for the chance to try IPv6 for the world test day on Wednesday. My CPU utilization is 2%, is that too high? :-)

Toastman
Toastman's picture
Sounds OK, good luck with the

Sounds OK, good luck with the ipv6 day! The tunnels work, yes. But so far I have been unable to actually use ipv6 to do anything useful

Toastman
Toastman's picture
Version 7621.1 posted for

Version 7621.1 posted for MIPSR1 Kernel 24. A few bugfixes and generally tidied up, as the 7621 appears to be working much better than I had hoped, this appears to be quite a stable release.

Use with older routers such as the WRT54GL, WL500 etc.

Bruc3
Bruc3's picture
Toastman, my WNR3500L is

Toastman, my WNR3500L is displaying the following in the overview screen:
Model Netgear WNR3500L/U/v2
CPU Frequency (MHz) 188

Does that CPU frequency mean that my router is underclocked? I have not touched the frequency settings at all

Risca
Risca's picture
Hi!

Hi!

Great work toastman! Is there any way to increase the jffs space? I need about 2MB. I tried the lite version, but that doesn't seem to support jffs. What can I do to work around this?

I have a Netgear WNR3500L (8MB flash, 64 MB RAM)

Risca
Risca's picture
*sorry,double post*

*sorry,double post*

Toastman
Toastman's picture
Not much, I'm afraid, if your

Not much, I'm afraid, if your flash is just too small. Tomato will use whatever is available, for example, my RT-N16 shows 25.13 MB Total, of which 24.25MB is free. But my E3000 which has the same amount of flash as you do, has only 960K free. You're not going to reclaim another 1MB.

Can you use USB flash?

Bruc3 - I can't answer that, but as far as I know the frequency detection works OK, the log will confirm it. Your router is most probably running at 188 at the moment. That was what it defaulted to in the absence of any NVRAM setting I guess. Some RT-N16's default to 133MHz. Just set it to whatever frequency is your choice, ( 480 is the factory setting for that router) and I think once you have created an NVRAM setting, you will not see this again.

Mercury Joe
Mercury Joe's picture
Bruc3,

Bruc3,

The correct frequency for a WNR3500L is 480 Mhz.

Toastman
Toastman's picture
Thanks, MJ. I amended the

Thanks, MJ. I amended the post.

Mercury Joe
Mercury Joe's picture
I like the idea of the NoCat.

I like the idea of the NoCat. But I do not need all the VPN baggage. Are they dependant on each other? Or would it be possible to build that is essentially NoCat added to the .EXT version?

I know.. I could roll my own, but I was just wondering.

Toastman
Toastman's picture
Any reason in particular? If

Any reason in particular? If you don't use a feature in the menu, like VPN, then it just isn't used. You just ignore it. Or do you need it smaller to fit a particular router?

They are not dependent on each other, completely separate. You can compile any or all of a few dozen selections, so it simply isn't possible to ring the changes of all these features for each sub-build, as this can go on forever! There are 28 to select from already. Luckily, MIPSR2 routers generally aren't too badly off with flash space and memory, so this is generally thought to be enough.

zeus163
zeus163's picture
Thanks for the updates. I

Thanks for the updates. I have to admit, I'm really a noob at 90% of what is going on here, but I like to try new things. However, I can't seem to figure out how to save/restore my bandwidth data each time I flash my router with a new firmware. I thought it would be administration-configuration, but that didn't work for me.

Is it all those GREP commands you list here:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showpost.php?p=362345&postcount=221

Is there a specific one for just the bandwidth data?

More questions to come...

Mercury Joe
Mercury Joe's picture
Look in Adminsitration -->

Look in Adminsitration --> Bandwidth monitoring for the save location. There are several options.

I use CIFS and set up a share on my machine. I have it save the info once an hour. You can set the logs to save on a reboot so you do not lose anything at all.

When the router comes up, it looks for the CIFS share and reloads all the data. It was great when I upgraded hardware and went from Tomato 1.28 on a WRT54G to TomatoUSB on a WNR3500L. Once I set the share, it inported all my old bandwidth data and I lost nothing.

The GREP commands are useful for transferring congfiguartions. You just run the commands on the old machine and save them in a text file. When you set up the new machine you just cut and paste in the TOOLS---> System command window and presto, you have reconfigured your router.

zeus163
zeus163's picture
It also appears that in the

It also appears that in the Administration->Bandwidth monitoring that I could just save the file locally as well. I don't know why I didn't notice that today. Not a big deal.

However, that CIFS thing sounds cool. I need to enable it. I'm sure I'll have questions about that. I'll probably start my own topic for that as that may be going off-topic now for this post.

More later.

specs
specs's picture
can i upgrade to this via

can i upgrade to this via tomato 1.27's admin interface? Or do i need to install dd-wrt again?

Toastman
Toastman's picture
Yes you can. Don't forget to

Yes you can. Don't forget to erase NVRAM, enable DHCP if you intend to use it, and set up again manually. Make sure you have selected the cpu clock speed that you wish to use in Advanced/Misc menu.

specs
specs's picture
Upgrade worked flawlessly!

Upgrade worked flawlessly!
Only thing is I have 100mbit and with your firmware I'm only getting about half that.
Have I missed some setting that could affect this?

Also, which CPU clock speed should I choose?

Toastman
Toastman's picture
It already has it.

It already has it.

Jason404 said: Is there any chance of getting IPv6 6to4 support in Tomato, like the stock firmware for the Netgear WNR3500L has?

Toastman
Toastman's picture
You should set 480 - but you

You should set 480 - but you will probably find 532 works fine too.

Throughput is dependant on many things, speeds of routers are commonly quoted with no encryption, no QOS etc. 

specs said: Upgrade worked flawlessly! Only thing is I have 100mbit and with your firmware I'm only getting about half that. Have I missed some setting that could affect this? Also, which CPU clock speed should I choose?

Mave
Mave's picture
Toastman i'm a bit confused!

Toastman i'm a bit confused! I currently run tomato-K26USB-1.28.7466MIPSR2-Toastman-Ext on my Netgear 3500L, but i want to upgrade to a version with VPN. So i went to your 4shared space to check for a newer firmware, but it confused me. Which 1.28.7475.5 VPN version should i use for my Netgear?

I see that all build have 'RT' in it, does that mean they can't be used for my Netgear router? I also wondered what the difference is between the NVRAM60K and the ones without? Again, which one is good for my 3500L? I'm in doubt about the two firmwares below, could you point me to the one i need?

tomato-K26USB-1.28.7475.5MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-VPN.trx

tomato-K26USB-NVRAM60K-1.28.7475.5MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-VPN.trx

Thanks in advance! :)

Pages