Using the WNR3500Lv2 as an Wireless Access point?

1 post / 0 new
LeguanArne
LeguanArne's picture
Using the WNR3500Lv2 as an Wireless Access point?

Hi people, this seems like a friendly place to ask some silly(?) questions.

I have tried to read up the best I can on how to succeed with implementing a number of access points in my house.

A single router doesn't seem to give me what I need in coverage in my house and garden, so I have figured that I'm going to set up three access points instead.

I have the whole house cabled with CAT6 and have a central GbE switch, so it should work out fine.

My idea is to set one cabled access point up on each floor and then one in the garage, wirelessly connected to boos the signal in my garden so that I can sit by the pool and drink a beer and still enjoy the intertubes :D

So, a couple of things I haven't been able to find out yet.

1. Which firmware would be the best for me?

-Tomato? DD-WRT?

2. I have found a guide showing how to do the cabled part on dd-wrt.com: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

But how do I do the same thing with Tomato?

3. Can someone point me to a guide on how to succeed with setting up the wirelessly connected access point? Perhaps I'm not using the correct terminology?

I hope this is the correct forum and that someone is willing to help me find out more about this. I'm no complete noob in networking, but this is a new area for me.