Warning during 3500L firmware upgrade

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
mattS
mattS's picture
Warning during 3500L firmware upgrade

I started to upgrade my 3500L firmware from the NETGEAR preloaded firmware.  I have never done this before, so I stopped at the warning below, not knowing whether it was serious issue.  I got the message below just after choosing the .chk file and then clicked "upload".  I also tried it with the 14896 build.  Does anyone know what this means and whether it is a problem or not to move to the next step?

Warning! You are trying to download the firmware which the region is different from the current firmware you had.
Do you still want to continue?
Current Firmware Version V1.0.2.50_31.1.25NA
Uploaded Version V1.0.0.64_196.87.0
taekwon3dan
taekwon3dan's picture
These are the North American

These are the North American versions (top being most recent) for WNR3500L, but the firmware version you have appears to be that for WNR3500V2.

Downloads (for WNR3500L): http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/12150

* WNR3500L Firmware Version 1.2.2.30
* WNR3500L Firmware Version 1.0.2.50
* WNR3500L Firmware Version 1.0.2.26
* WNR3500L Firmware Version 1.0.0.88
* WNR3500L Initial Release Firmware Version 1.0.0.86

You must have the WNR3500V2, not WNR3500L, or are trying to upload a WNR3500V2 firmware on a WNR3500L. Am I right?

mattS
mattS's picture
Thank you for the info. I

Thank you for the info. I think I did not word my question correctly. I have a 3500L and want to put different firmware on it. Something that is an improvement on the stock firmware from NETGEAR. From what I have read I believe Tomato can provide the USB support that I am looking for in a firmware. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get firmware that has USB support (multiple level authorization on the USB connected partitioned hard drive) and works with the 3500L?

taekwon3dan
taekwon3dan's picture
Yes. You have options.

Yes. You have options.

First of all, you should know that the Netgear stock firmware is very FAST and has USB. None of the other firmwares are as fast as the stock firmware.

Be that as it may, if you prefer to try other firmwares, you have to first flash your virgin router with dd-wrt mini chk file. Flash this first using the Netgear web gui firmware upgrade page:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn15396/dd-wrt.v24-15396_NEWD-2_K2.... (Make sure you do a 30-30-30 hard reset before you flash, flash, then wait 5 minutes, then power cycle 30 seconds, then do another 30-30-30 hard reset to clear nvram).

Then you can flash any one of these:

Kong's dd-wrt mod firmware has Samba USB support (NTFS format included). See http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/19806/DD-WRT-Kong-Mod-USB-FTP-miniD...

There is Tomato, too. See http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/22410/Tomato-Firmware-with-USB-Comp...

If you like, you can also try dd-wrt from their website, which has new broadcom drivers (excellent with built-in Samba - ext or fat formats).

ENJOY!

taekwon3dan
taekwon3dan's picture
Here is a more comprehensive

Here is a more comprehensive set of instructions. http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/18919/Upgrading-to-DD-WRT-on-NETGEAR...

I think I understand your original question now. Yes, you can go ahead and press "continue"

If you choose Tomato, you have to change .ext to .bin by renaming the file for the dd-wrt that you flashed to take.

mattS
mattS's picture
Thanks again. Your comment

Thanks again. Your comment about the speed is very interesting. It makes me pause and consider not changing the firmware at all. The functionality that I am trying to add is the ability to have different levels of access for different parts of my partitioned hard drive (connected to the USB port in my 3500L). Such as administrative level for me and another level for another partition for friends and family. So if I can do that without losing speed, I would be very happy.

mattS
mattS's picture
...And I forgot to add, "Does

...And I forgot to add, "Does anyone know a solution?"

taekwon3dan
taekwon3dan's picture
If you are only concerned

If you are only concerned with USB functionalities, then the stock firmware may not be the best choice. The speeds I was talking about is in terms of WAN/LAn LAN/WAN as well as wireless. I don't know about USB read/write speeds or the levels of access you are talking about.

mattS
mattS's picture
OK. You are right, I am

OK. You are right, I am really mostly concerned about USB functionalities. Do you know how much wireless speed would be lost if I changed firmware away from stock? Or is it a moot point when my internet provider is Comcast Cable and they usually max out at 10 MBPS with more typical speeds provided closer to 5-7MBPS? In other words, will my router still be able to provide extremely better speeds (even if it has a non stock firmware)than my ISP will ever supply?

taekwon3dan
taekwon3dan's picture
Any of the firmwares are

Any of the firmwares are excellent for normal purposes. Yes, it is probably moot.

Kong, e.g., has optimized WAN/LAn and LAN/WAN. I think Kong's mod may also allow for different USB users with different rights. Do a search regarding Kong's firmware and USB rights.

taekwon3dan
taekwon3dan's picture
This may be helpful:
taekwon3dan
taekwon3dan's picture
BTW, I don't believe that

BTW, I don't believe that Tomato allows for different levels of access.

mattS
mattS's picture
Thanks for the warning about

Thanks for the warning about Tomato. I will look into Kong's firmware before giving up.

Thank you.