WGR614L vs KWGR614 vs WGR614?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff Liebermann
Jeff Liebermann's picture
WGR614L vs KWGR614 vs WGR614?

What's the differences between the WGR614L, the KWGR614, and the off the shelf WGR614 which is currently at v9 hardware revision level?  The model numbers are sufficiently similar that I suspect that the hardware may be similar or identical?

Also, the Open Source document for the KWGR614 requires the installation of a 4 ping JTAG header and RS-232 interface circuitry.  Will this also be necessary in the WGR614L?

Nachi
Nachi's picture
All of these routers WGR614L,

All of these routers WGR614L, KWGR614, and WGR614v9 all are fine wireless routers - and you are not likely to see much of a difference in a normal usage scenario. Featurewise all 614 routers are similar and gives a consistent look, feel and behavior.

Check out this blog about the differences between KWGR614 and WGR614L.

WGR614v9 are infact very similar to WGR614L except that WGR614L has double the flash than that of WGR614v9 and thats a great help in running many open source firmware. Hope this answers your questions.

Jeff Liebermann
Thanks. It answers some of

Thanks. It answers some of the questions. The different wireless chips (Broadcom versus Realtek) means seperate firmware versions for each router. I want to throw the WGR614v9 into the picture because I suspect the price will be much lower than the others due to increased sales and availability. Half the RAM is a problem, but not fatal for applicaitions that don't require obscure features. I've used DD-WRT mini and micro distributions on some limited RAM/Flash WRT54G v5 and v6 routers with tolerable results. Ideally, the comparison and features list should include earlier WGR614 versions (v1 thru v9) for those wanting to use these routers with open source firmware.

For example, I was hoping for a more detailed internal features list, such as the WRT54G list at:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47124

I can determine much of this information from the FCC Type Certification reports and internal pictures.  Is there a list of FCC ID numbers for all the various WGR614 hardware versions? 

My question on the availability of the JTAG port and connector is important because soldering is a skill that many users lack. If one is epxected to solder a header and build an interface board in order to control the router, methinks it will be too much for many users. I was wondering if the KWGR614 and the WGR614L, which are designed for user modifications, includes the JTAG port and possibly the interface card.

Nachi
Nachi's picture
Thanks! 

Thanks! 

For WGR614 series v1 through v6 you can get details at http://www.seattlewireless.net/NetgearWGR614 

WGR614v7 is most likely an Atheros based router. Unfortunately I haven't got much info about that yet.

FCCID for WGR614L is PY306400057.  v8, v9 and WGR614L has similar hardware but only difference is in memory and firmware and of couse it may be possible to run stripped down version of firmwares onto the v9 routers.

I also like your idea about the tear down reports and we need to dig a little deeper into that. Will definitely appreciate some help here. 

Serial console and JTAG is really useful only for developers/programmers. Unfortunately the JTAG and Console connectors are not present in these hardwares. Soldering the pin headers are needed to get the console and/or JTAG access. For the serial connectors though - you can use this FTDI-TTL232R-3v3 USB cable which is easy to use (you may need to take out the female crimp pins from the housing. You will not need to build an interface boards as such. The bootloader itself does include support for tftp server which can be used to flash the board other than the Web based UI.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
There's a lot of new

There's a lot of new information out there on the new WGR614L, take a look:

WGR614L Data Sheet

WGR614L Open Source Guide

WGR614L Software Specs

WGR614L Hardware Specs

Hopefully these will help you further!

Pete

Jeff Liebermann
Now, we're getting somewhere.

Now, we're getting somewhere.

FCC ID page for the WGR614L is here.  Some of the chip numbers are visible on the internal photos.  The two photos of a single screw are ummm....rather odd.

The SeattleWireless page is extensive, full of useful clues, but rather disorganized when compared to the LinksysInfo page.  I don't know how much I can contribute to the effort as I only have a WGR614v6 and possibly a v3 router.  I also don't have the time but will try to help with some photos and some reverse engineering.

The various docs on the WGR614L are also useful, but rather sparce.  Hopefully, those will improve over time. 

I'm tempted to ask for a schematic or block diagram, but that might be asking too much.

The lack of a JTAG port connector is not a problem.  I just wanted to determine if it's going to be on the production version.  Presumably, the bulk of these initial units will go to developers (and hackers) who will need this connector.   

Reading the SeattleWireless pages, the presence of TFTP and telnet servers will be a huge help in installing the firmware images and recoverying from the inevitable unbootable firmware builds.

Thanks again.

Borage
Borage's picture
It would be interesting to

It would be interesting to know what the throughput is on the new router. I tested my KWGR614 and it cannot be any faster on a 10/100 Mbit/s interface.

ankur
ankur's picture
I have a WGR614 v7 router, is

I have a WGR614 v7 router, is it possible to run DD-WRT on it ? .. Actually WGR614L is supported for DD-WRT, but I am unable to find any information on this router for any custom firmwire.

Any support will be greatly appreciated.

SouvikGhosh
SouvikGhosh's picture
I guess, you will not be able

I guess, you will not be able to run DD-WRT on it. Most likely this is a atheros based router and on the contrary DD-WRT is for the Broadcom based platform.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
We've just published an

We've just published an article by BrandonC showing how to recover the WGR614L router using a serial console and cable. I thought this may be of interest to those participating in this thread!

You can find the article here:

Recover Your WGR614L Using A Serial Console & Windows

netmonkey
netmonkey's picture
I have a Netgear WGR614v5.

I have a Netgear WGR614v5. Is there any open source firmware that I can use? Im hoping to find one that will log the bandwidth that I use on my network.

Any suggestions?

Brandon C
Brandon C's picture
I don't know of any Open

I don't know of any Open source firmware for the V5. Wish there was. I think you are stuck with the Netgear provided stuff. :(

puppetboy
puppetboy's picture
I would very much like a

I would very much like a schematic of the WGR614L ( especially any connection brought out for USB, SPI, i2c, async serial links, GPIO, etc. I encourage Netgear to bring out all the pins on the CPU chip.

Gus Calabrese
Denver, CO

_IRIX
_IRIX's picture
SouvikGhosh said:

SouvikGhosh said:
I guess, you will not be able to run DD-WRT on it. Most likely this is a atheros based router and on the contrary DD-WRT is for the Broadcom based platform.

Hi SouvikGosh!

AFAIK the V8 version of WGR614 is Broadcom based, right? Then why most articles that i read says that after i install DD-WRT i will not be able to use the Wireless connection?

Is there any OpenSource firmware for WGR614v8 that fully supports the router?!

acarcattets
acarcattets's picture
Well-being security carriers

Well-being security carriers by have websites that purpose slate the MDs and medical facilities that tolerate their plans. All that I'm aware of will-power be suffering with a printed muster that they can [url=http://www.eventbrite.com/event/472658735]buy clomid and nolvadex online[/url] to you. The virtuous intend hand down enjoy your physician on their list or at least physicians who are located a expedient dissociate from your home. If you [url=http://www.eventbrite.com/event/472662747]buy apo prednisone[/url] it is signal to discover a expect that covers you opulently in other geographic areas as well.
A universal trim care requirement meet certain requirements to free well in the Collective States. We should group the undamaged population, which would classify men, women, children, and immigrants. No at one should be without it. This program could be major available to [url=http://www.eventbrite.com/event/472664753]buy tadalafil online pharmacy online[/url] so we must arrange sure it runs smoothly and corruption isn't anywhere to be found. Access to solicitude is a must. Innumerable times people don't obtain ways to travel vigorousness care. We must accommodate transportation to and from the medical facilities so they can receive the precise treatment.

Scott R
Scott R's picture
Check out this blog about the

Check out this blog about the differences between KWGR614 and WGR614L.

Reading this thread about KWGR614 I found that mentioned blog link has moved here