wgr614v9 unmodified recompile of netgear firmware not accepted

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Clippy
Clippy's picture
wgr614v9 unmodified recompile of netgear firmware not accepted

I've just tried recompiling the most recent international version of the stock netgear firmware for the wgr614v9, and although the build appears to complete without errors and produces a .chk file, the file is not accepted by the router. The precompiled version from netgear's website is accepted, under apparently identical circumstances.

The OS under which it was compiled was ubuntu, not redhat, and the trx utility used was from the v10 sources, since the v9 sources contain a 64bit version which I can't run.

Do either of these differences explain why the file is not accepted ? Or is there some other possible reason why it failed ?

Subhra
Subhra's picture
First check the image file

First check the image file extension in pre-compiled version from Netgear's website, if it is .chk or something else.

Can you please tell what is the actual error message is shown in the WebUI for your problem.

One point I want to mention here that it is customary to use the same tools to build your image (.trx or .chk) that are being used in the the Stock firmware, because using different tools may lead to signature mismatch between the resulting image and the image router is expecting thus the same will not be accepted by the router.

Clippy
Clippy's picture
Both files (the downloaded

Both files (the downloaded stock version and my attempted build of it) are .chk.

The webUI says: "Firmware upgrade failed. Please check your file".

I'd like to use the v9 version of the trx utility, but the one in the archive needs a 64 bit linux, and installing one just to run a single utility seems excessive. Is a 32-bit version of the v9 trx utility available anywhere ? Or the source code ?

Subhra
Subhra's picture
If the particular source code

If the particular source code using trx utility for 64 bit then the others tools it is using should also be for 64 bit. I am unable to understand how it is compiled successfully at your side.

Can you please give me the link from where you are downloading the source code???

Clippy
Clippy's picture
From http://www.downloads