WNDR4500v1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/04/15) giga HD NAS problems

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
unimorpheus
unimorpheus's picture
WNDR4500v1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/04/15) giga HD NAS problems

I have a WNDR4500v1 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/04/15) giga. I have been running DD-WRT for some time without issue. Recently I attached an external  WD 1Tb drive to the router for IP camera support. The NAS configured fine and was visible on the network but the router became very unstable as I began to have DNS issues and LAN to WAN connectivity issues. I have a wired Ethernet only network and only use the wireless for may phone. I have noticed that when I have the HD connected to the router on either USB port my DHCP provided WAN IPs for DNS disappear. I have plugged in the DNS manually just as a test and sometimes I can restore my internet functionality but on most occasions I don't have LAN to WAN at all. Connecting an external HD to this router seems to create WAN instability. I suspect that the additional power draw from the HD may be adversely affecting the router but the HD does not have an external power connection to test this theory. Has anyone else experienced this type of issue? Thanks.

Txsnipper
Txsnipper's picture
I have found even on the

I have found even on the Netgear genie, the wnd4500 was poor at handling the additional USB HDD connection, its better when the HD is  self powered but not really, it seems to such all the tick tock time of the processor to "whats is connected to usb, what do I do with it" all the time. I eneded getting a WD 4TB NAS drive for my security system and have not  regretted the move.. I think like you said it is a hardware limitation more than a software issue.