WNR3500L Bricked?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
squidleon
squidleon's picture
WNR3500L Bricked?

Hi all!,
I've just bought the netgear WNR3500L router and flash with dd-wrt firmware (DD-WRT for WNR3500L v24 K2.6 Big 13832 (BIN) BETA). I've rebooted, logon via web and configured (for example i've enabled sshd, telnet and few firware rules), saved configuration via web then logon on telnet and typed reboot...Now I've a dead router with orange power led.. i've readed this post:http://www.myopenrouter.com/forum/thread/16072/after-enabling-SSHd-the-r... and try to make 30/30/30 reset (30 sec. hold reset when power on, 30 sec. hold reset when power off and 30 sec. hold when power on) but with out result... What can I do now? Thanks all, sorry for my bad english!

Tommaso from Florence (Italy)

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
Sadly, I experienced the

Sadly, I experienced the "orange LED" issue as well after a bad flash, and it most likely means that your router needs to be reflashed directly.

I would recommend that you pick up a USB-TTL cable and debrick it using this tutorial:
http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/13859/How-To-Debrick-Your-NETGEAR-WN...

If you're going to be doing a lot of tinkering with the router, you really do need to get the cable and will find that you will use it often, especially if you're switching firmwares often or want to stay on the bleeding edge of firmware updates.

squidleon
squidleon's picture
Hi all, thanks to reply!,

Hi all, thanks to reply!,
@Peter Redmer: After writed the first post I bought the cable from FDTI.. I can't understand how the router brick after configuration save..Is bad luck..! Anyway when cable arrive, I'll post boot screen get via TTL cable.

@Tathagata Das: No, I'm not albe to access to board, ping is down but switch port work (osi upper level?). Yes I don't know how saving configuration brick router..
Thanks again!

Tommaso

squidleon
squidleon's picture
Hi Tathagata Das!,

Hi Tathagata Das!,
The version is "DD-WRT for WNR3500L v24 K2.6 Big 13832 (BIN) BETA" and I turn on SSH, telnet, HTTP interface, SNMP, DHCP, Wireless with access list based on mac address. thanks very much
tommaso

David Dias
David Dias's picture
Hi sirs,

Hi sirs,

I have the same problem in my netgear router, only orange led is turned on.. it seems like the router is .... let me see.. bricked :D ( ok not funny :( ).

This problem occurred from a sadly action... i have an external usb hard drive mounted for torrent proposes, but in that moment i was forced to remove it (I did a reboot previously to stop all running process). But the router never worked since that beautiful day.

For that reason i googled about this and i found the pretty nice "How-To-Debrick-Your-NETGEAR-WNR3500L-U" by Peter Redmer. But now i have another kind of problem... i opened my router and IÂ’ve got a terrific surprise...

The board doesn't has the 6 pins to connect USB-TTL cable... the pins place is there but just only impressed in the board (the JP1 pin place is only a hole in circuit board :S).

What else i can do to debrick my router? Any ideia?
Best regards,
David

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
@David - Try doing a standard

@David - Try doing a standard reset:

1. Power down the router while it's plugged in
2. Hold the reset button in with a pin and hold
3. Power on the router
4. Continue holding the button for 30 seconds

If that does not work, you can try a 30-30-30 reset.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

If that doesn't work, you'll need to solder in a pin header and use the USB-TTL cable.

mic
mic's picture
Hi,

Hi,

I can say for sure that this issue happen if you enable Sshd in DD-WRT. The router is NOT bricked. It looks like that it runs in a reboot loop. This issue is known in the dd-wrt forum.
You need to do a 30-30-30 reset. It works for me.