WNR3500L DHCP Problem

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
NateN34
NateN34's picture
WNR3500L DHCP Problem

Hi,

Well I have am currently having problems obtaining a ip from my modem.My story goes like this:

Stock Firmware--->DDWRT--->Tomato(then DHCP failed)---->DDWRT(DHCP still failed).

So basically what happened is that I recently installed tomato firmware on our WNR3500L. After about 2 hours, the interent started to go very slow and was giving me "interenet disconnection errors". The about 2 minutes later after that the interent totally gave out.

My first thought was that it was our ISP or modem.....but I was wrong. Turns out that my Netgear router is unable to get and IP from the modem through automatic DHCP settings.

So I decided to go back to DDWRT, the last known working firmware, but still no dice. Note that everything else on the router works fine, such as the configuration pages, etc, but no internet.

My question is, how do I fix this? Is the router fried and done for?

Thanks in advance

Subhra
Subhra's picture
I am using wnr3500l for long

I am using wnr3500l for long time and did firmware switching many times but haven't faced such a problem yet.

You can do the following checking....

--> Connect a pc in WAN side of your router (instead of your ISP modem) and run dhcp server on it. Check if your router is able to get ip from that DHCP server or not.

If above process is failed to do your work then you may try your luck by making a factory reset.

The link below have a thorough guide to do factory reset.-->
http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/18623/How-to-Hard-Reset-Your-NETGEAR...

husk
husk's picture
I'm having the same problem

I'm having the same problem using WW-DRT. Had any luck on a solution?

Thanks

NateN34
NateN34's picture
Yeh, this router was trash.

Yeh, this router was trash. Even when it works, it works slow.

Ended up buying a quality Linksys router. Have not had a problem with the Linksys one ever so far.

husk
husk's picture
dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6

dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_big

If I set up everything on the computer (IP, DNS, gateway) manually I can reach the internet. So the 3500 seems to work. DHCP doesn't.

I've 30-30-30 reset and reloaded the software to no avail.

Any thoughts?

thanks

husk
husk's picture
Yes it is bridge mode. Thanks

Yes it is bridge mode.

Thanks

husk
husk's picture
I'll give it a shot in a day

I'll give it a shot in a day or so. Have to go to work now :-(

Thanks

husk
husk's picture
N. When I got the 3500 I put

N. When I got the 3500 I put dd-wrt on it immediately. I'll probably try the original software this week. We have a major move at work so I'm currently tied up.

thanks

husk
husk's picture
I tried using the following

I tried using the following suggestion

wanf=`get_wanface`
iptables -I INPUT 2 -i $wanf -p udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j logaccept

Didn't see it do much but it did take a while to boot.

When I went to DHCP on my Mac notebook and renewed the lease I got a self assigned 169.X.X.X.

Tomorrow I'll try a different router OS and see if DHCP works

Thanks

husk
husk's picture
The plot thickens. If I hook

The plot thickens. If I hook up a PC notebook running XP DHCP works. I get an address, gateway, etc

So the problem seems limited to Macs.

More info later

husk
husk's picture
I found a fix.

I found a fix.

Go to setup disable "Use DNSMasq for DNS" and the Ti-book running OS-X 10.4.11 can get an IP, Netmask and gateway but no DNS

Disable above plus "Use DNSMasq for DHCP" and "DHCP-Authoritative" then the Macs can get IP, Netmask, gateway and DNS.

The above also seems to hold on a Mac G5 running 10.5.8

>>>>>>>>>

I still can't get wireless to connect using any authentication setting on the Ti-book other than no authentication.

The above is for 14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_big

Has anyone tried 15508_NEWD-2_K2.6_big?
Any idea if that would fix the above problems?

Thanks