WNR3500L => I want to buy, question:

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
tw04l124
tw04l124's picture
WNR3500L => I want to buy, question:

Hi

I wnat to buy a WNR3500L router.

This router has a usb interface, is it possible to connect e.g. 4 external USB Harddiscs with an usb hub on this port?

Are there any limitations?

Is it even possible?

I want an opensource router, because I hate closed source software. Basically I want to sync two notebooks via network with this router and have basical internet access too, while syncing these two devices.

If I could connect all my external discs to this router via usb, this would be nearly perfect.

100% perfect would be this router + build in ADSL2+ annex a interface.

pls answer my question, I dont have the router, I want to run the opensource software on this router.

tw04l124

tenkooo
tenkooo's picture
Hi

Hi

Are there any limitations? / Is it even possible?

I use DD-WRT and it is possible to connect a usb hub with four ports to it, and four discs.
You can also use the netgear firmware (but i do not know if it's possible to use a hub).
I have just bought this router and i'm very happy with it.

If you want to learn how to use DD-WRT firmware with usb discs, just follow this great tutorial posted by Peter:
Enable USB Sharing Over Your LAN with NETGEAR WNR3500L and DD-WRT

mutant
mutant's picture
Honestly, I think you're

Honestly, I think you're better off with a cheaper router. Engenius and Asus routers are a lot cheaper and perform substantially better than WNR3500l.

Prithvi
Prithvi's picture
Hi,

Hi,

I installed the DD-WRT firmware and upgraded it for USB as per the instructions in the link provided. The good news is that the hard disk is being recognized when using a USB hub as well. Bad news is that I am not yet able to figure out what to give as the username/password for the hard disk access. I tried giving the username/password of the administrator but it doesn't work. Will go home tonight and try to work it out again, in the meantime, any help would be hugely appreciated.

Prithvi