WNR3500L - USB share performance

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
pen
pen's picture
WNR3500L - USB share performance

I'm trying to get the best performance for my USB share and is a bit disapointedCry

In the current standard Netgear firmware with FTP upload I get:

NTFS: 2 MByte/Sec

FAT32: 6 MByte/Sec

I expected at least 10 MByte/Sec and wasn't able to use EXT2/EXT3 on the WNR3500L can any one explain why?

FAT32 isn't a good choice because of file size limitation, but can someone check performance in DD-WRT? 

This is also posted at http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=392466#392466 

Schugy
Schugy's picture
Depending on the cable

Depending on the cable quality, its length and your mainboard chipset 6 MB/sec might be your maximum for 100 MBit ethernet (mine is 5,7 MB/sec).
Perhaps you can try the Paragon Networks firmware with NTFS optimization. The router cpu may be too weak to run the standard ntfs-3g driver faster.

pen
pen's picture
That might be true, but I was

That might be true, but I was using a 1 GBit ethernet connection for the test.

achilles
achilles's picture
does ur host has a Gigabit

does ur host has a Gigabit interface and please c if it z properly configured using ethtool ...
Also have a look at the following article :
http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/13385/Configuring-USB-Storage-SAMBA-...

It might b of some help 2 u ...

lexonline
lexonline's picture
I run this router with tomato

I run this router with tomato-firmware with Samba enabled.
The performance is 1,5MB/sec. (NTFS)
I will try it with EXT3 drive soon.
I expected more power, because the CPU is the fastest i know.

lexonline
lexonline's picture
Hi!

Hi!
I just switched to the newest DD-WRT release. This version still has no Samba, but with FTP i was able to upload with 7,5 MB/sec.
Next step will be to install Samba3.

lexonline
lexonline's picture
Hi!

Hi!
I noticed that the Tomato Firmware has Samba3 already included, but not openWRT or DD-WRT. I am not yet able to do advanced things in Linux, but i can follow instructions. So if there is a guide how to install it in DD-WRT i will try.
Help is welcome! :-)

Tadej
Tadej's picture
I am getting 1,8MB with NTFS.

I am getting 1,8MB with NTFS. This is when i am not using torrent or something else which affects performance.

Maybe NFS would be faster?? Problem is only CIFS is avaiable.

I also tested 720p streaming to Xtreamer and it worked OK!

Kevin
Kevin's picture
are you guys using stock

are you guys using stock Netgear FW? What about Tomato?

Kevin
Kevin's picture
Try it, can't hurt. Tomato

Try it, can't hurt. Tomato supports NTFS. If it doesn't improve, going back to Netgear FW is cake.

Tadej
Tadej's picture
iam using tomato btw

iam using tomato btw

Today i also tried FAT32 and i got 3MB max. Not good...

Kristofer
Kristofer's picture
I am using an ext3 file

I am using an ext3 file system and I have to say I am pretty disappointed with the performance. I get ~1.5MB/s upload speed and 3.0MB/s download speed using samba.

I still have to test connecting the drive directly to see what happens because connecting to my computer was also slower than expected. I do suspect something is not 100% with my test though because CPU use is as low as 50%, it would be good if someone else could confirm..

Oh, I am using Tomato 1.27.

Kong
Kong's picture
With my optimized Samba3

With my optimized Samba3 package I get about 2.0MB/s Up and 3,8MB/s Down. I did some troubleshooting to see if this is a general USB problem, CPU Load etc.
In another thread we discussed this already and we have seen that upload is faster than download using ftp.

My conclusion is that this is not a USB problem itself. If you read from a usb drive pipe it to /dev/null you get full speed in my case 20MB/s using a slow usb stick.

Therefore it should be possible to find out where the bottle neck lies and fix it.

Kristofer
Kristofer's picture
Kong said: If you read from a

Kong said: If you read from a usb drive pipe it to /dev/null you get full speed...

How do you do that and measure the speed at the same time? I know how to log in using ssh, I would just need a command...

Kong
Kong's picture
Just place a large file to

Just place a large file to the usb device, then use dd to read the file and place the output to /dev/null:

dd if=/jffs/whatever of=/dev/null

(if means in file of means out file)

Normally you could use time dd if=/jffs/whatever of=/dev/null to get the execution time, but time doesn't work under dd-wrt, therefore once you press enter use a clock or run:

date && dd if=/jffs/whatever of=/dev/null && date

now you can calculate filesize/(start date - end date)

STL
STL's picture
Any try this (with FAT32):
Wes
Wes's picture
I'm not sure how to measure

I'm not sure how to measure the upload speed but I did measure the time to write 4.36 GB of data from one desktop computer to the 300 GB SATA drive connected to the router and it took 42 minutes but to write it to another computer connected to the router it only took 2 minutes. I have tried another drive connected to the router with the same results yet either drive works great connected to a computer. If this is even close to the best it will do NAS is not for me. Luckily I did not buy the router for this feature and for everything else it does great.

Kong
Kong's picture
STL said: Any try this (with

STL said: Any try this (with FAT32): http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=392465&sid=86f05458d00b7332562d0e51719141fb

Samba2 is of course faster, but it does not support win7.

If you access via FTP you will get pretty good rates, around 8MB/s with my build.

STL
STL's picture
Wes said: I'm not sure how to

Wes said: I'm not sure how to measure the upload speed but I did measure the time to write 4.36 GB of data from one desktop computer to the 300 GB SATA drive connected to the router and it took 42 minutes but to write it to another computer connected to the router it only took 2 minutes. I have tried another drive connected to the router with the same results yet either drive works great connected to a computer. If this is even close to the best it will do NAS is not for me. Luckily I did not buy the router for this feature and for everything else it does great.

The USB network drive feature on the WNR3500L was about worthless for me.  I ended up returning the router and getting Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.  So far I'm happy with the change.  I am now seeing 9MB/s transfer rates with the USB network drive now (whereas I was seeing about 1/3 of that with the Netgear).

Kong
Kong's picture
The USB network drive feature

The USB network drive feature on the WNR3500L was about worthless for me.  I ended up returning the router and getting Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.  So far I'm happy with the change.  I am now seeing 9MB/s transfer rates with the USB network drive now (whereas I was seeing about 1/3 of that with the Netgear).

Actually we have found out the cause now. Tomato already added the latest broadcom driver along with other fixes, last tomato forum entry states that performance is now at 10MB/s.

Wes
Wes's picture
OK, I'm not a newbi but I

OK, I'm not a newbi but I guess I am on this subject. What is Tomato and is it something I can use with my Netgear router?

Wes
Wes's picture
Since I am a little

Since I am a little apprehensive about the task of installing Tomato or WRT I decided to see if Netgear's latest firmware had any affect on the problem, so I upgraded. The answer is NO it doesn't help the write speed to the NAS but I think it may have degraded my wireless performance.

Kong
Kong's picture
In Tomato Beta 16 they rolled

In Tomato Beta 16 they rolled back the broadcom driver since there were a few issues.

Anyways, if you tried with my dd-wrt mod(from download section) and you only got 2MB/s down and 1MB/s up, then either your wireless connection is not operating at full speed or the device is too slow.

Try to connect via wire and test again.

A quick test just now:

wireless connected at 144MBit/s I get 4,8MB/s down the drive is a ext3 formatted usb stick. Wired should be a bit more.

Someone else yesterday reported 6MB/s write 5MB/s read

goodwill
goodwill's picture
hi Kong, I installed your dd

hi Kong, I installed your dd-wrt. so far so good. one issue though, file date is not correct. could you please look into the problem?

goodwill
goodwill's picture
hi kong, I installed your dd

hi kong, I installed your dd-wrt mod 3 days ago. so far so good. one issue though, file date is incorrect. could you please look into the problem?

great job kong!

Kong
Kong's picture
Hi goodwill,

Hi goodwill,

can you give me more details:

-which filesystem?
-if you logon to the webinterface, is the time (displayed top right) correct?
-is there a fixed drift, or random time difference?

goodwill
goodwill's picture
kong,

kong,

-ntfs
-webinterface time is correct
-fixed drift, 5hrs difference

goodwill
goodwill's picture
I guess the firmware is using

I guess the firmware is using absolute GMT instead of local time. the difference between my local time and GMT is exactly 5hrs.

Victor
Victor's picture
Kong, that should be (end

Kong, that should be (end date - start date), else you get a negative number. Or maybe you're traveling backward in time.