WNR3500L to use with VDSL 50MBit/s

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
SamSpade
SamSpade's picture
WNR3500L to use with VDSL 50MBit/s

Currently I am using a Linksys WRT54-GL (DD-WRT latest build) connected to a Speedport 300 VDSL modem.

Although everthing seems to be alright I encounter one major drawback caused by WRT54-GL's somewhat outdated hardware, i.e. max. download speed is about 33 MBit/s (Linksys overclocked by 20 MHz), max. upload around 5 MBit/s. Speeds decrease even more when connected via Wi-fi.

Therefore I am looking for a new open source router.

1. Is WNR3500L capable to handle broadband data up to 50 MBit/s via Ethernet and WAN port?

2. When installing DD-WRT is VLAN/7 and VLAN/8 tagging to use with T-Home Entertain supported?

3. Is it possible to connect the WNR3500L to a VDSL modem? Connection to provider will be established using PPOE.

Thanks and greets

Sam Spade

SamSpade
SamSpade's picture
By utilizing VLAN tagging the

By utilizing VLAN tagging the traffic is being split into Internet and VoIP (VLAN ID7) and IPTV Multicast (VLAN ID8).

bruno701
bruno701's picture
Hi,

Hi,

i'm using one of the latest ddwrt firmwares. The problem is that i cannot get an pppoe connection online with an external VDSL Modem. I think its somewhere vlan-tagging related (need vlan-tag 7). I set that through the setting as on the screenshot above. If i review cat /proc/net/vlan/config i see that the tag is correctly set. But i still did not get a connection.

is vlan tagging generally supported by this hardware? does someone gets this working with vdsl?

Otto

zazzel
zazzel's picture
Hi Otto,

Hi Otto,

I have the same problem here, both using a WRT54Gv2 and a WRT610nv1 - the first one just proved unusable - it drops packets as soon as there's a multicast stream. VLAN-Tagging seems to work with a HS300-VDSL modem, but not behind a Speedport router (acting as a modem), since the latter seems to mess up the VLAN-Tagging.

The other router (WRT610n) is completely and utterly useless - the built-in GB switch is a piece of junk that doesn't support VLAN at all. And I couldn't find a working firmware to get a PPPoE connect to begin with.

I spent hours on these routers, just because I desperately need a P2P blocking router. At my own place, I'll stick with a modified Speedport W920v.

If anyone can recommend a VLAN-capable 802.11n GB router with stable P2P-catching firmware, let me know.

bog
bog's picture
@OP:http://jultech.wordpress

@OP:
http://jultech.wordpress.com/2010/03/21/netgear-wnr3500l-tomato-und-t-ho...
complete guide to t-home entertain with tomato and wnr3500l. in german.