WNR3500l v2 & v1: Repeater

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
vokmed
vokmed's picture
WNR3500l v2 & v1: Repeater

Hello to All.

I just bought WNR3500l v2, set all up and desided to to setup old 3500l v1 as a repeater.

But I run into problems: it tells me to set both routers encryption either to WEP or to none and scales down to 54mb transfer rate from 300. What I am doing wrong?

PS: WNR3500l v1 and v2 running stock firmware.

buddee
buddee's picture
What you are doing wrong is

What you are doing wrong is not using WPA2 with AES only. To meet N spec, WPA2 with AES is the only security you can use, with G spec you can use what you like.

vokmed
vokmed's picture
buddee said: What you are

buddee said: What you are doing wrong is not using WPA2 with AES only. To meet N spec, WPA2 with AES is the only security you can use, with G spec you can use what you like.

I tried and this warning poing up...

"IMPORTANT
WPA-PSK [TKIP] may only operate at "Up to 54Mbps" (legacy G) rate, not N rate.
NETGEAR recommends that you use WPA2-PSK [AES] to get full N rate support"

vokmed
vokmed's picture
buddee said: What you are

buddee said: What you are doing wrong is not using WPA2 with AES only. To meet N spec, WPA2 with AES is the only security you can use, with G spec you can use what you like.

And even changing to WPA+AES on main router and trying to setup as a base repeater...

"The wireless security options WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA2-PSK (AES), and WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) are not available if you enable the wireless repeating function.
Please change your security option before you enable the wireless repeating function. "

vokmed
vokmed's picture
vokmed said:

vokmed said:

I tried and this warning poing up... "IMPORTANT WPA-PSK [TKIP] may only operate at "Up to 54Mbps" (legacy G) rate, not N rate. NETGEAR recommends that you use WPA2-PSK [AES] to get full N rate support"

and this message:

"IMPORTANT
WPA-PSK [TKIP] may only operate at "Up to 54Mbps" (legacy G) rate, not N rate.
NETGEAR recommends that you use WPA2-PSK [AES] to get full N rate support"

buddee
buddee's picture

vokmed said:

vokmed said:

I tried and this warning poing up... "IMPORTANT WPA-PSK [TKIP] may only operate at "Up to 54Mbps" (legacy G) rate, not N rate. NETGEAR recommends that you use WPA2-PSK [AES] to get full N rate support"

and this message: "IMPORTANT WPA-PSK [TKIP] may only operate at "Up to 54Mbps" (legacy G) rate, not N rate. NETGEAR recommends that you use WPA2-PSK [AES] to get full N rate support"

Okay, so you are only confirming what i have already typed...

Also, i would read up on how to flash the WNR3500L with dd-wrt, i don't think stock firmware has an option for repeater. DD-WRT does, so you'll most likely have to use it. And make sure to use WPA2 with AES on BOTH units. The main AP needs WPA2 with AES and the repeater unit has to have the exact same credentials..

roliaz
roliaz's picture
Be aware that the WNR3500L v2

Be aware that the WNR3500L v2 is not flashable with the current offerings from DD-WRT.

buddee
buddee's picture

roliaz said: Be aware that the WNR3500L v2 is not flashable with the current offerings from DD-WRT.

Considering that the OP is saying that he will be using the WNR3500L v1 as a repeater, i don't think it will be a worry...

vokmed
vokmed's picture
buddee said:

buddee said:

roliaz said: Be aware that the WNR3500L v2 is not flashable with the current offerings from DD-WRT.

Considering that the OP is saying that he will be using the WNR3500L v1 as a repeater, i don't think it will be a worry...

Thanks to both of you, I was carefull to use files for v1.

I tried dd-wrt and tomato: tomato have cleaner interface with more bell and vistles but I got already WRT54GL running DD-wrt as a repeater. WNR3500l v1 i flashed back to stock firmware (from tomato admin and with 30-30-30 reset without a glitch). I'll try later to install Tomato again, set up as a client bridge and run as a dnla and usb and FTP server, possible? I found only aDD-wrt guide how-to.

buddee
buddee's picture
vokmed said:

vokmed said:

buddee said:

Thanks to both of you, I was carefull to use files for v1. I tried dd-wrt and tomato: tomato have cleaner interface with more bell and vistles but I got already WRT54GL running DD-wrt as a repeater. WNR3500l v1 i flashed back to stock firmware (from tomato admin and with 30-30-30 reset without a glitch). I'll try later to install Tomato again, set up as a client bridge and run as a dnla and usb and FTP server, possible? I found only aDD-wrt guide how-to.

I couldn't tell you if tomato even has repeating modes, last time i used tomato was 1.28 and it didn't have any kind of router linking modes in it that i remember, seemed good for a main access point style setup, but i use multiple units, so i needed the linking modes and thus now i only use dd-wrt.

vokmed
vokmed's picture

buddee said:

vokmed said:

buddee said:

Thanks to both of you, I was carefull to use files for v1. I tried dd-wrt and tomato: tomato have cleaner interface with more bell and vistles but I got already WRT54GL running DD-wrt as a repeater. WNR3500l v1 i flashed back to stock firmware (from tomato admin and with 30-30-30 reset without a glitch). I'll try later to install Tomato again, set up as a client bridge and run as a dnla and usb and FTP server, possible? I found only aDD-wrt guide how-to.

I couldn't tell you if tomato even has repeating modes, last time i used tomato was 1.28 and it didn't have any kind of router linking modes in it that i remember, seemed good for a main access point style setup, but i use multiple units, so i needed the linking modes and thus now i only use dd-wrt.

I used to have WNR3500l v1 (stock firmware)main AP conected to cable modem and WRT54GL and WRT54g running both DD-WRT Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 as client bribge which later I converted them both to repeater mode and WDTVlplus hook up to one of the routers (WRT54GL via ethernet cable). Now I replaced 3500l v2 for v2 (stock firmware also) I notice that there is after about 5 sec sounds dissapears and video stuttering. Also, DD-WRT control panel, Status, wireless I see errors,

Wireless Packet Info:

Received (RX)     100%  42226 OK, no error

Transmitted (TX) 99%   4927 OK, 43 errors
Overclocking Frequency  200MHz

I followed this tutorials to set 1st to client bridge and then to repeater mode:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=890590 <--client bridge

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=890888 <--repeater mode

Do you know any other setup that will work better?

Thank in Advance!

Chu Le
Chu Le's picture
Hi all,

Hi all,

I all so ran into this problem during setting up a repeater on WNR3500L-v2. It worked if set both WNR3500L-v1 (base) and WNR3500L-v2 (repeater) with security NONE. It was stupid that WNR3500L-v2 has no WEP security.

I am looking for a new firmware for the WNR3500l-v2 with WEP security option.
Does anyone know?

Thanks,
--Chu Le

redgear
redgear's picture
Hi

Hi
I just got a Netgear wireless 3500L and installed the v2. I found my internet connection keeps dropping. Is there a solution?
Can someone share their solution?

Thank you.
redgear