WNR3500L - wan ip 0.0.0.0

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Crazyj
Crazyj's picture
WNR3500L - wan ip 0.0.0.0

upgraded to dd-wrt, then tomato, back to dd-wrt.  It was working fine, but now can't connect to my cable modem.  Checked cable modem, and can connect fine without the router.  Reset too many times to count.

Any suggestions on what might be the problem?  Should I be resetting back to factory firmware?  The dd-wrt that's on it now is kong's

Kong
Kong's picture
Have you done a 30s reset?

Have you done a 30s reset?

Power OFF->Press Reset Button + Press Power Button (hold reset for 30s)-> Release Reset Button

If you switch between different firmwares you should always do a 30s Reset.

P.S.: The above works for the wnr3500l, other routers may need a 30/30/30 reset.

Crazyj
Crazyj's picture
yes, I've done multiple 30s

yes, I've done multiple 30s resets and the 30/30/30. I've tried to "revert to factory settings" or whatever that option is called, but also to no avail. Is there a guide to doing a very basic setup? I know everyone has a different need / flavour to their router needs, but is there a "these are the very basic settings that you need to get right" tutorial?

Kong
Kong's picture
Do you see anything special

Do you see anything special in the routers log under /var/log/messages ?

Crazyj
Crazyj's picture
No, in fact there's nothing

No, in fact there's nothing in messages at all.

While (hopefully) I still have your attention, when do you think you might have NFS-exporting available in one of you firmwares?

Kong
Kong's picture
Hi Crazyj,

Hi Crazyj,

if there are no messages in the log that show that the router is trying to connect then it seems like the router thinks it is not physically connected to the modem.

I already added nfs modules in the latest build, no export tools yet. But after a few optimizations there will be space left to integrate these.

Crazyj
Crazyj's picture
Well, I reverted it back to

Well, I reverted it back to the netgear firmware, then carefully reinstalled the dd-wrt and your version. Now it seems fine (though I'm now having major issues with ZoneAlarm). Is it necessary to be connected to the cable modem while the router is starting up? ie. can it renew its address from the cable modem dchp once its fully booted up?

I noticed that you did add in the nfs module (but there don't seem to be any options to control it in the gui). NFS export is really the only feature I'm looking for, so my Squeezebox can 'see' the usb drive. How long do you think it'll take before this becomes part of the firmware?

Kong
Kong's picture
Normally it is not neccessary

Normally it is not neccessary to have the modem connected, but a few devices have problems negotiating the ethernet speeds if they are not connected at boottime.

For nfs export I have to check what is needed, but since nfs modules are included now, it should be fairly easy to install nfs-utils through optware.

Crazyj
Crazyj's picture
Care to walk a noob through

Care to walk a noob through adding nfs-utils through optware?

I've been able to SSH into it with PuTTY and have a look around, but beyond that I'm a bit green when it comes to LINUX and shell stuff.

NateN34
NateN34's picture
Have the same problem. EXACT

Have the same problem. EXACT SAME. Can't find out what's wrong.

rywen
rywen's picture
I'm experiencing a similar

I'm experiencing a similar issue. the router worked fine with the netgear firmware, i updated to the mini dd-wrt and it worked fine, obtaining a wan Ip almost instantly. Then I upgraded to tomato (the tomato-K26USB-1.28.9053MIPSR2-beta-Ext) file and upon logging into the admin, it's stuck at "renewing" the wan ip. I've done a thorough erase of all the data in the nvram. Then I tried to downgrade to the latest non-beta version (tomato-NDUSB-1.28.8754-vpn3.6 is the file I was using) and I guess I bricked it in the process.

I had to short two pins on the one IC and use tftp to start over again with the netgear firmware which worked, then dd-wrt, and finally i'm back to tomato and it still hangs at "Renewing" the wan ip, even after doing a thorough nvram erase and rebooting the router and cable modem multiple times.

Any suggestions?

rywen
rywen's picture
kt_haddock said: When change

kt_haddock said: When change firmware do MAC adress change ? If then try with the older MAC-adress or disconnect all and wait ~10-15 min and try to get IP-number. With some ISP's you have to activate your MAC.

I didn't check to see if the mac address changes - I did try setting tomato to use the pc mac address at one point just to see if a change in mac would make a difference, but  honestly with my ISP, the mac address attached to the modem has never been a huge issue -   the times when i've wanted to do speed tests through a router and then compare them to a pc directly connected to a modem, changing out the cable and doing a reboot of the modem is all it takes to get an ip assigned to the pc or router. 

when I upgraded from the netgear firmware to dd-wrt, it didn't even take a modem reboot to get back online 

in between my last message and this one, I decided to try downgrading to the latest stable tomato (the second firmware i listed in my last post).  Same thing happened - i got a power light but no response of any kind from the router. wireless doesnt come on, the dhcp on the lan doesn't start up, and i can't get to the admin page even after setting my ethernet card to a static ip.      I did the 30 second reset... and then finally the 30/30/30 and tftp'ed the netgear firmware again.   

I'll go back and look at the articles on this site again, but am I using appropriate tomato firmware versions for the wnr3500l?

I like dd-wrt, but on my old linksys wrt25gl, the throughput was really slow.  I picked up this new netgear for the wireless N and integrated gigabit switch - and it's crazy fast compared to my linksys w/ dd-wrt, however I want to use vpn and my understanding is that tomato is both fast (almost as fast as the stock netgear firmware) and will work as an openvpn endpoint. 

rywen
rywen's picture
well, my issue is resolved

well, my issue is resolved for now. I ended up setting the router's wan mac address to a 'random' address and I think that's all it took to fix the problem. Countless reboots of the router and modem prior to this didn't fix it, and at one point I also tried cloning the pc mac address to the wan port.  I don't understand why it worked with the other two firmwares I had installed, but it's working now and that's what counts. Hopefully changing the mac address is really what solved the problem (and not some unrelated problem that randomly resolved itself and will randomly return.               Also, maybe I misunderstood the information on this site (the download page) that lead me to believe the k26 or k24 firmwares will both work on my router, but based on what I read on the tomatousb site, it sounds like the k26 firmware should be the only one that will work... and if that's true, that explains why I couldn't get the k24 to install correctly. 

wbt
wbt's picture
@rywen: Which build are you

@rywen: Which build are you using now?

I have a WRN3500L but I am unable to get an IP from my cable modem. I would like to try the same build you might have if your connection is ok. Please let me know.

Update: I set the mac address to be the same as my old router and now everything is ok.

naviathan
naviathan's picture
One thing to keep in mind

One thing to keep in mind with these types of problems is that most ISPs (Road Runner definitely) won't release the MAC address of the last connected device until the modem is reset. This means completely removing all power from the modem for at least 30 seconds to ensure the memory clears any residual information then powering it up again. Every modem I've used is like this with Road Runner.