WNR3500L / WNR3500

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tularis
Tularis's picture
WNR3500L / WNR3500

Ok, So I'm looking at the WNR3500 Series.

Obviously the L version offers the "OpenSoruce" features.

But my main question is, are they any difference between the two routers apart from that?

I'm very new to the whole OpenRouter stuff and will Probably want to keep the original netgear firmware for a while, are there any differnet features between the routers on the original netgear firmware? Or are they just identical with one running linux?

Brandon C
Brandon C's picture
The two routers are very

The two routers are very different.
The WNR3500 V1 uses the MarvelChipset and no USB port.
The WNR3500L uses a broadcom chipset that allows you to use "OpenSoruce" firmware.

For most basic routing functions the V1 will work fine. Speed, reliability, etc are about the same.

If you want USB support and the ability to tweak your router to do specifc things that the "stock" firmware can't do then you would want to get an "L" router.

The V1 can be found fairly inexpensively these days so if you want to save some cash and don't need anything special the V1 would be fine.

Another option is the V2 router. This on is the same as the V1 with less memory and no USB port. So if you don't need a UAB port you could get that one.

If buying online you will need to make sure which one they are selling. A lot of sites just put WNR3500 with no model or version number information.

Tularis
Tularis's picture
Brandon C said: The two

Brandon C said: The two routers are very different. The WNR3500 V1 uses the MarvelChipset and no USB port. The WNR3500L uses a broadcom chipset that allows you to use "OpenSoruce" firmware. For most basic routing functions the V1 will work fine. Speed, reliability, etc are about the same. If you want USB support and the ability to tweak your router to do specifc things that the "stock" firmware can't do then you would want to get an "L" router. The V1 can be found fairly inexpensively these days so if you want to save some cash and don't need anything special the V1 would be fine. Another option is the V2 router. This on is the same as the V1 with less memory and no USB port. So if you don't need a UAB port you could get that one. If buying online you will need to make sure which one they are selling. A lot of sites just put WNR3500 with no model or version number information.

Thanks for the information.

From what I have found out the L version is only £2 more expensive.

http://www.dabs.com/Product/Compare?CompareList=6MBB%2C5834&CategoryId=1...

Hopefully from that link you can see the WNR3005 Compared with the L version.

As you can see information is lacking in some of the fields leading to the confusion.

In your opion would the WNR3500L be the better route (Even if i were to keep the stock firmware) ?

Brandon C
Brandon C's picture
Personal opinion I would go

Personal opinion I would go with the "L" router. Out of the box it would perform the same if not better. Then if in the future you ever needed an opensource router you would have one.

Tularis
Tularis's picture
Excellent Advice!

Excellent Advice!
I think I will do that =D