xr500, hardware is almost same with r7800, with dumaos is released,

196 posts / 0 new
Last post
e38BimmerFN
e38BimmerFN's picture
Does samba work in the

Does samba work in the lastest NG stock FW for the R7800?

Make sure its working there first. If it's not, NG needs to fix the stock FW first.

karateka
karateka's picture
Yes, samba works without any

Yes, samba works without any probelms with the latest stock FW on the R7800.

With the dumaOS FW it doesn't work. Am I the only one for whom it doesn't work? Can somebody with the dumaOS installed on a R7800 confrim if samba works?

I did connect through ssh to the stock FW and dumaOS on the R7800 and i suspect that the samba version on the dumaOS is just outdated...

XVortex
XVortex's picture
When I started this project,

When I started this project, I intended to use the XR500 firmware on my R7800 router. But the firmware was full of bugs and Netigar/Netduma do not even think to fix it. Their
V2.3.2.32 is also broken and drops wifi and wired connections:
http://forum.netduma.com/topic/26134-firmware-23232-and-still-wifi-drops...

So I decided not to release DumaOS based on this release. Let's wait for a more stable version with good reviews and then I will do the job.

I've recommend use/stay on the R7800-V2.2.1.10-DBG-XR356-180522a (special version without any noticeable bugs include wifi/wired drops)

https://mega.nz/#!c9cCWAhD!6ml74yhu5H5JSDURydm7cOJJQuAsr8wtw29Vbry6pX8

karateka
karateka's picture
Thanks! But samba (local

Thanks! But samba (local READYshare) also does not work on V2.2.1.10-DBG-XR356-180522a firmware...

I have been waiting so long to be able to use dumaOS on my R7800 but unfortunatley i cannot because samba is not working and i cannot share my HDD connected to the USB port of the router in my network.

Can this issue be fixed? What is the reason for that?

e38BimmerFN
e38BimmerFN's picture
Would stem from NG stock FW

Would stem from NG stock FW and maybe something that can't be fixed for the R7800. Again, intended design was not for the R7800

Choppyc79
Choppyc79's picture
Thanks, seems to be working

Thanks, seems to be working well.

smehdi
smehdi's picture
Thanks, XVortex

Thanks, XVortex

Is it OK to stay on V2.3.2.22? Please keep us posted.

e38BimmerFN
e38BimmerFN's picture
If it's working for you...

If it's working for you...

ajw107
ajw107's picture
Just found this thread and

Just found this thread and interested in the new firmware.  For those wanting to compile it themselves and see what vortex added I'm currently (just starting) to use two tools to do this:

on linux firmware-mod-toolkit from https://github.com/wangqiang1588/firmware-mod-kit to extract the 2.3.2.22 versions of both the x500 and R7800 img files

on windows i then use winmerge http://winmerge.org to compare both root_fs directories

initially I see changed to samba and dropbear (not gone through all files yet), but it should also give people some confidence in the security of the firmware and also update to a never version as duma seem to have ironed out a few problems recently (espeiclaly with connects and disconnects).

Hope this helps people, must go to bed now, night night...

Alex

gtse
gtse's picture
Hi!

Hi!

Just found this post while looking for custom fw's for my R7800.

Currently running DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 std (10/10/18) but would love to give DumaOS a shot.

I don't care about samba atm, as I use a NAS for file sharing. Which is the the most stable version to use and do I need to re-flash back to stock fw before trying Duma? Wifi stability connection is a must.

Thanks in advance!

reid.entify.user
reid.entify.user's picture
xvortex recommended using V2

xvortex recommended using V2.2.1.10-DBG-XR356-180522a until Netgear actually fixes issues with the other updated fw. I haven't had any issues so far with the one he posted. You would have to flash back to stock Netgear few before going to Duma fw. If the stock Netgear few won't flash to Duma try flashing to voxel's fw then duma ... that worked for me.

reid.entify.user
New XR500 firmware was

New XR500 firmware was released on 12/17. Firmware Version: XR500-V2.3.2.40. Wondering if anyone has modified it yet for R7800 use.

New features and enhancements:

-Added the Hybrid VPN feature, which replaces the VPN client feature.
-Added the VPN provider PureVPN to the Hybrid VPN feature.
-Added the ping assist feature to the Geo Filter.
-Added advanced ping stats to the auto ping dashboard.

Bug Fixes:

-Fixes the issue where the speed test feature in the Nighthawk app does not work.
-Fixes the issue where the speed test feature in the installation process might fail.

XVortex
XVortex's picture
I'll modify it in a couple of

I'll modify it in a couple of weeks.

gtse
gtse's picture
Thanks a lot for the reply

Thanks a lot for the reply reid, much appreciated!

Where do I find this fw (V2.2.1.10-DBG-XR356-180522a)?

gtse
gtse's picture
Ok, finally found time to try

Ok, finally found time to try it but I can't seem to revert the router to the netgear original fw.

I even downloaded a file xvortex had posted, call R7800 back to stock - no luck.

It keeps rebooting back to dd-wwrt.

reid.entify.user
Did you use this fw in dd-wrt
joecitizen
joecitizen's picture
This firmware is nice and has

The DumaOS firmware is nice and has potential but it is still a bit buggy.   Also samba not working is disappointing.  Hopefully inprovements keep being made. The potential is there.

reid.entify.user
According to the netduma

According to the netduma admin on netduma forums the latest firmware should be "super stable". Curious to see how it runs on my R7800.

X4S R7800 Owner
X4S R7800 Owner's picture
I've found that the R7800-V2

I've found that the R7800-V2.2.1.10-DBG-XR356-180522a firmware for the R7800/XR500 Hybrid had some issues with GeoFilter not working.  Also when in device manager some items that were online and hard-wired were appearing offline (such as my work server which is on 24-7).  I thought maybe the reason the Samba service didn't work for anyone is possible different vendor USB/eSATA hardware for the XR500 which would probably be hard to inject into the actual NetDuma OS. Samba isn't really important to me personally as I have machines that act as a NAS/Media Server/etc.  but the QoS tools and GeoFiltering would definately be a must have to impliment this firmware long-term.  I did notice my wireless seemed to be more stable with 5Ghz band not dropping as much as with OEM Netgear Firmware, although they haven't been able to get their devs to put a fully 100% working firmware together yet in the 3 years this router has been on the market.  Almost wonder what the 3rd party devs are finding with the newer OEM firmware, if Netgear is purposely breaking their firmware so customers buy newer working products I smell a class action suit brewing.  Anyway, I give full credit to the third party devs keeping our aging hardware alive and functioning better than the OEM - Keep up the good work we appreciate you and I'm definately looking foward to the newest XR500 patch for the R7800.   

sovercngear
sovercngear's picture
Is there a build out for the

Is there a build out for the R7800 that supports hybrid vpn ?

e38BimmerFN
e38BimmerFN's picture
Tried Voxels FW? 

Tried Voxels FW? 

X4S R7800 Owner
I've tried Voxels FW _.62SF

I've tried Voxels FW _.62SF and the speedtest and QoS functions still don't work (especially when assigning device name/type in "Attached Devices".  It's an issue with NG's OEM firmware - I gave him a copy of beta that at least the speedtest will work but they still don't have the QoS feature worked out.  You'd think after 3 years of being on the market they'd have gotten it right by now.  IMHO Netgear devs are lazy and sloppy.

e38BimmerFN
e38BimmerFN's picture
Most of the issues seen in

Most of the issues seen in Voxels FW comes from stock FW which he can't fix. Those fixes have to come from NG. NG seems to have FW issues in many of there routers. 

I think version 39SF and prior and good working QoS, 

X4S R7800 Owner
Well I currently have a case

Well I currently have a case open with Negear about their faulty QoS and supposedly it's an escalated issue so I've been assured the development team is working on a fix.  I just hope they start from scratch and give me a good beta that everything works flawlessly on (So I can turn around and give it to Vox so it'll be refined by a proper dev). It's just so stupid how this router that has been out for 3 years still doesn't work 100%.  This is honestly the only company I know that has these issues with their router firmware.

e38BimmerFN
e38BimmerFN's picture
Let us know how it goes. Ya,

Let us know how it goes. Ya, seems like NG is a rollar coaster ride when it comes to there FW. 

Relate
Relate's picture
Hi I have a R7800 and I have

Hi I have a R7800 and I have a problem with upnp.. With stock FW, voxel and dumaos FW my upnp doesn't work.. I tried dd wrt FW and works.. Someone can help me?

e38BimmerFN
e38BimmerFN's picture
So does uPnP not work for you

So does uPnP not work for you? 

What devices are you connecting to the router? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the router is connected too? 

Relate
Relate's picture
Yes it doesn't work. I have

Yes it doesn't work. I have only the ps4 wired, other devices are wireless. I have an Italian ISP and the model is TIM HUB DGA4132. In the modem I disabled the dhcp, firewall, Nat, wifi and upnp. When I'm playing the upnp table in the router is empty.. My nat is moderate

e38BimmerFN
e38BimmerFN's picture
Possible that the modem

Possible that the modem configuration isn't good enough to get good upnp settings and NAT configurations. 

Does the modem have a DMZ? If it does, you might try using the DMZ on the modem for the iP address of the NG router.

Overall ISP modem router combos are not recommended with external routers since they already have a built in router. Causes NAT problems. 

AT most, PS you'll only see NAT Type 2 behind a router. 

gtse
gtse's picture
With reid's help, I finally

With reid's help, I finally got around to flashing my R7800 last week by following the instructions here (telnet).

I successfully flashed back to stock using the fw reid sent me, then to XVortex's latest fw. Can't say that I am very impressed with Duma after having used it. 

Sure, it's way better than stock but I don't know if it's Qos management is any better than what I had on my RT-AC66U running Advanced Tomato.

I actually have the impression that it doesn't work as intended, as I get worse results on dslreports's bloatware test, even though I have restricted my overall speed to 90% in the Anti-Bufferbloat section and given priority to battlefield on my gaming rig in the Trafic Prioritization section...

QOS on my RT-AC66U running Advanced Tomato seems to yield better bloatware scores on dslreports plusI didn't get the latency variation icon show up in game.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on what I am doing wrong.

Other than that, the interface seems kinda busy for my liking. I don't need a lot of things from my router to be honest butI'll roll with it until XVortex patches netgear's latest fw and then I'll decide what to use. 

Other than a stable WiFi connections, my only needs for my router would be Trafic Prioritization for my gaming rig when playing BFV & time limitations for my daughter's devices. If these 2 thinks work properly, I'm good. Also, what is the use of the Geo Filter map. I have set the pin to my location but I don't know what it offers.

Many thanks

Pages