is my R6250 bricked?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
izik7291
izik7291's picture
is my R6250 bricked?

I flashed my R6250 to the latest kong chk file. Everything went smoothly. Set up my router as a bridge using LAN on my pc. It worked perfectly. Was able to connect my devices and access the internet. Seemed to work fine. I then moved the router to the room I was initially planning on using the router in and it all went sideways. No signal, no response, nothing. The only light that comes on is the white Netgear light. I tried rebooting, 30/30/30, etc. I took my laptop and hooked it up directly and still nothing. Is it bricked? If so, how might this have happened? Everything went fine until I powered it off, unplugged it and moved it to another room. Any help is appreciated, I can only hope there are still people monitoring this place. Thanks in advance.

izik7291
izik7291's picture
Okay, so I brought it back to

Okay, so I brought it back to my room and plugged it into my PC, preparing it to try to reflash the old firmware and it started working perfectly again. Giving off a wireless signal, able to connect to the internet and everything. Very confusing. I'm going to try and move it back to the other room one more time. 

MyOpenRouter Team
MyOpenRouter Team's picture
Strange one. Sounds like it

Strange one. Sounds like it might be a power supply issue?

izik7291
izik7291's picture
I don't believe so. After a

I don't believe so. After a few minutes of testing it, it stopped working again. It was working fine so I unplugged the ethernet to my PC and tested the wireless functions. Kept working as expected for 10 minutes or so and then my internet connection dropped out. Even after power cycling, it gave off the bridged signals I set up but I was unable to reconnect to them. Even a direct connection brought me no results and no response from 192.168.x.x so I reset it. (I forgot to mention that moving it back to the room with the PC the first time, all the previous settings were immediately restored. Even though I did the 15sec reset button and even 30/30/30.) This time, the 15 second reset button has reset the router to default settings. I am very confused so I haven't moved forward with setting up the bridge/repeater functions just yet. I'm wondering if it's experiencing some kind of hiccup with the firmware. I think I'm going to move it to the other room first and try using my laptop to finish the set up. If it works, I'll leave it alone and hope I never have a power outage lol

izik7291
izik7291's picture
I should clarify that I had

I should clarify that I had not yet moved it back to the other room yet. Took a break to eat dinner and that's when it stopped working again. No changes had been made to the router between my other two comments other than unplugging the ethernet from my pc.

izik7291
izik7291's picture
Alright, I am now even more

Alright, I am now even more confused than I was when I started. I finished setting up the router and took it back to the destination room. It stopped working again. I thought, "maybe it is a power supply issue. Let me test a different outlet." I took it to my bedroom across the hall and it worked in there. Okay, lets try a different outlet in the destination room. Tested outlet 2of3; nothing. Was it a fluke? Back to the bedroom. Nope, it's working in here still. Back to the destination room. Tried the third outlet. Well that one worked but its the furthest outlet from where I need it. Tried outlet 1of3; it works?!? It has now been working through multiple power cycles. I don't know what's going on but I guess I'll keep coming back here and updating. For anybody else in my shoes, the only advice I can really give is to just keep trying I guess?

drexor
drexor's picture
If still unresolved, it may

If still unresolved, it may be an issue with the 2 phases of electricity used in homes in the US. normally not an issue but when you start networking everything together, and connecting them via wires, you're essentially bridging potentially phase1 and phase2 circuits. this was a common problem when working with satellite receivers and the coax started bridging all these rooms and circuits together. 

Secondly Kong is gone, it's ill-advised to use Kong builds as they have some check-in routines in them that might make them operate weird. i have a r6250 as well and run tomato-R6250-AT-ARM-3.5-140-AIO-64K on it with zero issues.