Clarification Needed on Upgrading R6300v2CH firmware

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
asciiman rev 2
asciiman rev 2's picture
Clarification Needed on Upgrading R6300v2CH firmware

Hello everyone-

I am working on an old R6300v2CH.  I have successfully flashed the unit with a Kong mod of dd-wrt v24-sp2 (08/15/14) build 24865M.  The unit seems to be working well.

However I now see that there is a more recent .chk file available and was wondering what the proper proceedure is to re-flash with the newer Kong mod .chk?

Do I have to first re-flash with the OEM Netgear firmware before reflashing with the newer Kong .chk?

Or can I flash the newer Kong .chk directly from the existing Kong/dd-wrt firmware upgrade GUI?

I have read quite a bit on how to flash the R6300v2CH, but I have not seen anything spelling out how to upgrade from a Kong .chk to a newer Kong .chk.  I am seeking a bit of clarification.

Thanks in advance,

Allen

asciiman rev 2
asciiman rev 2's picture
While the "5 Easy Steps"

While the "5 Easy Steps" tutorial on flashing dd-WRT on a Netgear router clearly says that .chk files are only necessary for the initial flash, and that regualr dd-wrt .bin files could be used after initial flashing, I thought that the proprietary "CH" (charter) version of the R6300v2 might create a roadblock to that.  Can anyone here clear this up for me?

jhavron
jhavron's picture
Working the EXACT same

Working the EXACT same problem/question..... Any luck?

asciiman rev 2
asciiman rev 2's picture
After the initial Kong Mod

After the initial Kong Mod install (r24865), I upgraded it to the more current DD-WRT v3.0-r36070M kongac (05/31/18).

I have been looking around the myOpenRouter site for a more current Kong mod for the this 6300v2CH unit, but there doesn't seem to be one.  If someone reading this knows of a later version, please respond.

Thanks!