best firmware for access point mode? stability/reliability

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
hnijhar
hnijhar's picture
best firmware for access point mode? stability/reliability

hey guys got a couple r7000's that i want to use to expand a network as access points, wondering what firmware is the most stable/reliable in access point mode for r7000s?

would it be regular netgear, kong/tomato? xvortex asus wrt merlin? + any other?

or is it all personal preference

Layllah
Layllah's picture
Hnijhar,

Hnijhar,

I've been using Kong's DD-WRT for 4 years on Verizon Fios + VPN, One year on Spectrum + VPN It's been exceptionally stable Oh on a Neatgear R7000. I upgraded to Kong's last build 39960M 06/2019 I have to restart the router every few days. The aforementioned is no reflection on Kong I'm greatful for his hard work! As I understand it he's retiring from his own builds and moving to the Open-Wrt team.  Which means I've been studying which alternative to use! They all have good and not so good things about them with the exception of Netgears Firmware, they spy since I'm an inventor working on a proprietary invention not so wild about some company seeing my work.  The Magic word for me is THROUGHPUT. I have lots of smart devices ensuring bandwidth allocation is fairly even is my deciding factor. So I'm going with Brainslayer's build. Hope this helps.

3v3ntH0riz0n
3v3ntH0riz0n's picture
Where are the Bainslayer's

Where are the Bainslayer's builds?  I cannot seem to find any for R7000.  He is taking over for Kong I thought.

Layllah
Layllah's picture
I have them (bainslayers)

I have them (bainslayers) build that is! If you're interested reply and I'll figure our how to get them to you!

willmn007
willmn007's picture
Layllah, what do you mean by

Layllah, what do you mean by

"They all have good and not so good things about them with the exception of Netgears Firmware". Is netgear building firmware for DD WRT or you mean to use netgears firmware?

Also, can you upload brainslayers build?

Thanks