Extender Help

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
drair0
drair0's picture
Extender Help

Happy New Year All - I am in need of some help with my router and extender please.

I currently have the Nighthawk R7000, running the latest Kong DD-WRT v3.0-r36070M kongac. I need to get an extender for my house so I got the Netgear AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender, EX6400. 

-Do I have to download DD-WRT onto the extender?

-I've really tried to find instruction on how to connect the router and the extender. Is that also called a Wireless Distribution System (WDS)? Are those the instructions I should follow?

I'm not good at this, and I barely had enough confidence to put DD-WRT on my router. Adding an extender scares me more.

Thanks for any help.

drair0
drair0's picture
Hi all. I'm trying to set up

Hi all. I'm trying to set up my Extender (AC1900) and connect it to my R7000 router as a Wireless Access Point. I'm on the wiki page but I'm obviously missing something and I was hoping someone can help.

I'm trying to follow the instructions below but I cannot figure out how to change all of the settings on the extender, I only see settings for my router. How do I get to the extender settings?

Thank you

Access Point (AP) instructions

A secondary router on the same subnet, so all wireless and wired network devices can access each other.

[edit]Simple Version (Same Subnet)

On the secondary access point router:

• Do a hard reset
  • Disable DHCP and set the wireless channel different from the other router(s)
  • Set the IP address to 192.168.1.2 (or any IP outside the gateway DHCP range that does not collide with the gateway nor any other static devices)
  • Connect a LAN port from the Access Point to a LAN port on the primary router