Last post
Rubyz123
Rubyz123's picture
Need help

Hello all

Rubyz123
Rubyz123's picture
Test Hello All My name is

Test Hello All My name is ruby and I am new to this site. I am. Noob when it come to installing something on my router. My router hasn’t been updated since last year so I checked my firmware version on netgear. It’s shows 1.0.5.70_1.1.91. I have also came to know what with recent updates on netgear people had hard time downgrading to lower firmware. So I need to know  if this version is ok to flash advanced tomatoe firmware?  If not which version should I have on my router.  Also can anyone point me to detailed instructions ( preferably video if possible ) on how to install tomato firmware on R7000. Which files and need. Just don’t wanna brick my router. So need help from all the wonderful guys on this forum  

mrdon213
mrdon213's picture
Hello Ruby,

Hello Ruby,

Freshtomato is what you would want to flash.

1) Reset the Router NVRAM.
2) Flash this file first https://exotic.se/freshtomato-arm/Netgear%20R-series%20initial%20files/f...
3) Flash the latest firmware https://exotic.se/freshtomato-arm/v2019/2019.2/freshtomato-R7000-ARM-201...
select erase NVRAM when flashing.
4) Reset Router NVRAM.

Just be very patient flashing the router it can take 5-10 minutes to flash, some routers much longer.

Mrdon213

Rubyz123
Rubyz123's picture
Thx for the reply. Yeah I

Thx for the reply. Yeah I want to install tomato bec I wanna monitor my bandwidth of my network and wanna each which device is using how much internet so someone told me tomato had that feature. How to reset the Nvram? And what version is required on nighthawk in order to flash it with tomato  thanks again 

mrdon213
mrdon213's picture
To reset the NVRAM in this

To reset the NVRAM in this situation just press and hold the reset button for 5 to 10 seconds with the router turned on. After initial flash of tomato you can select erasing NVRAM on the update page. The Initial flash firmware takes care of the version problem.

Rubyz123
Rubyz123's picture
From your post I understand

From your post I understand that 

1. Reset the router to factory setting by pressing the Reset button 

2. Then flash it with tomato firmware 

3. Then flash with updated firmware version of tomato and select erase ram when flashing with latest firmware of tomato

4. After that reset nvram( I think I’ll see that option once tomato is installed ) 

hope I cover everything above which you have mentioned in your post 

Also I wanna know which firmaware version Is need to flash the tomato file. I have 1.0.5.70 right now. Is it ok version or so I need to downgrade it to whatever requires. 

Thanks for all your help. 

mrdon213
mrdon213's picture
Yes that is correct. If you

Yes that is correct. If you select erase NVRAM at step 3 you should not have to do step 4 but doing it will make sure memory is fully cleared. The initial flash file will work with any version, so downgrading is not a issue as long as you flash the initial file first.

Rubyz123
Rubyz123's picture
All right. Thanks for the

All right. Thanks for the help. I’ll try this coming weekend and let u knOw the result.  Thanks once again 

Rubyz123
Rubyz123's picture
Should I follow the same

Should I follow the same procedure to install advanced tomto instead of fresh tomato? Thanks 

mrdon213
mrdon213's picture
Yes you can, However advanced

Yes you can, However advanced tomato has not been updated in almost 2 years.

Rubyz123
Rubyz123's picture
Oh ok. The only reason I

Oh ok. The only reason I wanna install custom firmware on my R7000 is bec I wanna see which device on my network is downloading lot of data and I have heard that advance tomato had that feature in their firmware. So if u know any other firmware with that feature please let me know and I’ll flash it with that. Does fresh tomato had that feature?

mrdon213
mrdon213's picture
yes you can monitor bandwidth

yes you can monitor bandwidth with fresh tomato.

Rubyz123
Rubyz123's picture
HI I did upto the 3rd point (

HI I did upto the 3rd point ( flash with latest update ) . now for 4th point ------.>>> reset the router. i see 2 options under configuration page  1. erase all nvram data  2. restore defult router setting. which option should i choose after step 3. thx

Rubyz123
Rubyz123's picture
Also please guide me how to

Also please guide me how to use this router as an acess point . thx Basically i want same wifi ssid throughout the house. i got 2 more routers which i wanna use as an access p oints . plz guide me how to do it,

mrdon213
mrdon213's picture
Glad you got this running, I

Glad you got this running, I would do erase all (thorogh) under restore default configuration. I am not sure exact steps for AP mode, I will look it up. I would ask that question seperately on linksys.org to get faster response.

Rubyz123
Rubyz123's picture
thx for the help. let me know

thx for the help. let me know if u find out. 

Rubyz123
Rubyz123's picture
Also is there a way I can add

Also is there a way I can add a custom name in from of IP address. If I check all the devices on my network majority show ip and MAC address only. It’s hard to figure out which device is which