Kong Mod build 17140 - Update 08.06.11 14:00 CET

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rich
Rich's picture
Has there been any news about

Has there been any news about wireless problems? I constantly get wireless dropouts since upgrading to the 17140 build. I basically have to keep pressing Apply Settings in the wireless tab to get the wireless working again. I noticed that all links to older builds in the older posts point to the 17140 build. Is there any place where the old kong builds can be downloaded?

Kong
Kong's picture
Hi Rich,

Hi Rich,

I have been watching my wireless connections for the last few days and since I changed Transmission fixed rate from auto to a fixed rate and back to auto I wasn't able to reproduce this problem. Have you guys done a reset when you upgraded to the latest build?

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/r16830-dd-wrt-usb-ftp-samba3-dlna-O2-v24-K26...

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/r16830-dd-wrt-usb-ftp-samba3-vpn-O2-v24-K26-...

Rich
Rich's picture
At first I didn't do the

At first I didn't do the reset. So last night I decided to do the 30-30-30 reset but I can still reproduce the problem at will. My setup is as follows. I have set WDS with N-Only between a WNR3500v1 and WNR3500L. I have a NAS hooked up to a Gigabit network connected to the WNR3500L. The media server is running XBMC connected to the WNR3500v1. When I try to access the NAS from XBMC via a smb share most of the time when it is retrieving the list of files it hangs. If that doesn't hang the wireless connection normally starting a 1080p video will cause the hang.

I'll try the changing thing. When you change the transmission rate did you change both the MIMO - Transmission Fixed Rate and Transmission Fixed Rate. Can you tell me what were the exact steps and values you used?

les86
les86's picture
Kong said: .... In that case

Kong said: .... In that case read: http://tips.desipro.de/2010/08/30/usb-drive-not-recognized-wnr3500l/

Thank you! 30-30-30 help me.

I have another quastion. I can`t to set  "access" option in Service-Nas-file sharing to write/read. Only Read option is avaible

Kong
Kong's picture
Hi les86,

Hi les86,

damn I just uploaded new builds, you are right once the share is created you cannot toggle read/write anymore. A quick look at ejs.c shows where the bug is located. As a workaround for now: at the time you create the share, it will let you select write, after that you can only switch it to read only. So in order to set it write again you have to remove and add it again.

Anyways, new builds are up and you guys can test and see if you find more bugs.

-Wiviz should work again
-Nmbd is included now
-Wireless signal should be fine again

Chrisoldinho
Chrisoldinho's picture
Hi Kong, thanks for adding sd

Hi Kong, thanks for adding sd-idle, it works really well on my sdb2 2TB drive :)

One thing I have noticed is like Zoomlink from a restart if both samba and minidlna are set to autostart, only samba does. It's an easy fix, either hit apply to start it up manually or as I have done have a quick startup script to load it.

It's not a big issue and as I say it can be managed, but just wanted to let you know. This was also present in build 16830M.

Keep up the good work.

Best regards,
Chris.

Kong
Kong's picture
Hi Chrisoldinho,

Hi Chrisoldinho,

this should not happen unless the drive was not cleanly umounted. In this case minidlna does not start because the drive is beeing checked. In most cases it works as I have just tested it.

Chrisoldinho
Chrisoldinho's picture
Thanks Kong. I am using OTRW

Thanks Kong. I am using OTRW to unmount my drive upon reboot.

Prehaps the issue is that the 2TB drive takes a bit longer than a smaller drive to initially spin up and be ready?

A quick test once again reveals minidlna did not start up:

[code]

root@ASUS RT-N16:~# ps -A
PID TTY TIME CMD
1 ? 00:00:01 init
2 ? 00:00:00 kthreadd
3 ? 00:00:00 ksoftirqd/0
4 ? 00:00:00 events/0
5 ? 00:00:00 khelper
39 ? 00:00:00 kblockd/0
41 ? 00:00:00 cqueue/0
77 ? 00:00:00 pdflush
78 ? 00:00:00 pdflush
79 ? 00:00:00 kswapd0
80 ? 00:00:00 aio/0
610 ? 00:00:01 mtdblockd
643 ? 00:00:00 watchdog
660 ? 00:00:00 khubd
720 ? 00:00:00 scsi_eh_0
721 ? 00:00:00 usb-storage
724 ? 00:00:00 scsi_eh_1
725 ? 00:00:00 usb-storage
827 ? 00:00:00 resetbutton
919 ? 00:00:00 telnetd
955 ? 00:00:00 dnsmasq
1059 ? 00:00:00 pppd
1060 ? 00:00:00 redial
1069 ? 00:00:00 ttraff
1090 ? 00:00:00 nas
1148 ? 00:00:00 nmbd
1332 ? 00:00:00 smbd
1374 ? 00:00:00 process_monitor
1377 ? 00:00:00 httpd
1390 ? 00:00:00 klogd
1399 ? 00:00:00 kjournald
1408 ? 00:00:00 inadyn
1545 ? 00:00:00 upnp
1682 ? 00:00:00 wland
1716 ? 00:00:00 dropbear
2804 ? 00:00:00 xinetd
2998 ? 00:00:00 kjournald
3102 ? 00:00:00 syslogd
3116 ? 00:00:00 portmap
3140 ? 00:00:00 unfsd
3180 ? 00:00:00 transmission-da
3182 ? 00:00:00 transmission-da
3183 ? 00:00:27 transmission-da
4409 ? 00:00:00 cron
4410 ? 00:00:00 transmission-da
4411 ? 00:00:00 transmission-da
4442 ? 00:00:00 dropbear
4443 pts/0 00:00:00 bash
4452 pts/0 00:00:00 ps
[/code]

I don't expect you to do this for me, but prehaps a fix would be if minidlna started with a delay of say 60 seconds or a couple of minutes to allow for a drive check?

My auto-start script gets it going anyway, so it's not a problem really, I just have a workaround :)
I am running this as S99minidlna in /opt/etc/init.d to make sure its the final process to run.

Going away with work tomorrow but will try and keep an eye on this thread and respond when possible.

Best regards,
Chris.

Kong
Kong's picture
Hmmm that could be the

Hmmm that could be the problem. I have a flash drive connected.
I should check with a regular usb drive. I could probably add some check before trying to start minidlna.

Rich
Rich's picture
I just tried that latest

I just tried that latest build and I am not seeing any wireless problems anymore. Thanks for the build Kong!

zoomlink
zoomlink's picture
Kong,

Kong,

Is there a way to identify which build is running when you make a variable backup with Frater's OTRW 'backupessenstials' script?

I ask because I don't know if there are differences between variable backups done when I'm running your build and those made when running a regular build from eko or BS. I normally restore the xxx.all.sh backups because I always use RT-N16 routers.

Can I just restore an xxx.all.sh backup made while running an eko build to your build and viceversa?

Is there a difference? just want to verify if the build matters.

zoomlink
zoomlink's picture
Another question from an

Another question from an inquiry mind...

About POWERED USB-HUBS connected to an RT-N16 or other USB capable router.

Someone told me that I should NOT connect a 'POWERED' usb hub to an RT-N16 USB connector. I was under the impression that the Power in the USB-Hub flows to the 'DOWNSTREAM' connected devices and not up to the router.

Can someone who knows their USB stuff clarify if this is fact or fiction?

Kong
Kong's picture
No there are no differences

No there are no differences for variables, except for those I add e.g. variables for minidlna. So unless there are major changes in dd-wrt itself you may have trouble.

Concerning the powered usb hub, I don't know if the broadcom usb ports are decoupled, if they are not and if the connected device is also not decoupled then it may break the board.

Usually only quick and dirty created devices with development state don't have decoupling. The stuff you normally connect to such a router (drives, printers ..) is not going to cause any problems.

Chrisoldinho
Chrisoldinho's picture
I built a quick script to

I built a quick script to manage sd-idle, you could probably just have a simple startup script, but I thought I would make something a little more elegant.

Requirements - Optware the Right Way

Note the line " sd-idle -d b -i 600" under start) - you need to alter this to suit your needs. I have added info to the usage, so you can see how to setup to your requirements.

Save as S50sdidle in opt/etc/init.d/ and you can manage via fraters service control tool in shell.

#!/bin/sh
NAME=sd-idle

if [ -z "$1" ] ; then
case `echo "$0" | sed 's:^.*/\(.*\):\1:g'` in
S??*) rc="start" ;;
K??*) rc="stop"
esac
else
rc="$1"
fi

case "$rc" in
start)
if pidof $NAME 2>&1 >/dev/null ; then
echo "$NAME is already running"
else
optlog "$NAME" "Staring sd-idle"
sd-idle -d b -i 600
optlog "$NAME" "Successfully started $NAME, managing spin up and spin down of attached device(s)"
fi
;;
stop)
if pidof $NAME 2>&1 >/dev/null ; then
optlog "$NAME" "Terminating sd-idle"
killall $NAME 2>&1 >/dev/null
optlog "$NAME" "sd-idle stopped"
fi
;;
restart)
"$0" stop
sleep 1
"$0" start
;;
info)
echo "Info: $NAME"
echo ""
echo "Usage: ( runs as a daemon )"
echo "sd-idle [ -d devices ] [ -i idletime ] [ -c checktime ] [ -h --help ] [ -v --version ]"
echo "-d [a-z]+ include where a => /dev/sda, b => /dev/sdb (default is all disks)"
echo "![a-z]+ exclude"
echo "-i n n seconds a disk must be idle to spin it down (default 900, min 300)"
echo "-c n n seconds to sleep between idle checks (default 30, min 5)"
echo "-h --help usage"
echo "-v --version version"
echo ""
echo "for example:"
echo "sd-idle will manage all disks with default times"
echo "sd-idle -d bc will manage /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc with default times"
echo "sd-idle -d !bc will manage all disks except /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc with default times"
echo "sd-idle -i 600 will manage all disks spinning down after 600 seconds or 10 minutes"
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 (start|stop|restart|usage|info)"
;;
esac
exit 0

Dark_Shadow
Dark_Shadow's picture

Chrisoldinho said: I built a quick script to manage sd-idle, you could probably just have a simple startup script, but I thought I would make something a little more elegant. Requirements - Optware the Right Way Note the line " sd-idle -d b -i 600" under start) - you need to alter this to suit your needs. I have added info to the usage, so you can see how to setup to your requirements. Save as S50sdidle in opt/etc/init.d/ and you can manage via fraters service control tool in shell.

I posted this script on my wiki, good script

http://infodepot.wikia.com/wiki/DD-WRT_-_Kong_-_sd-idle managemet_script

Kong
Kong's picture
Hi kt,

Hi kt,

yes BS added netbios name =

Rich
Rich's picture
One quesiton about the links

One quesiton about the links in Kong's June 7th post. The url text shows r18630... Howerver, if you click on them it downloads r16830... is the link referencing a much older build? Was there a typo and the 8 and the 6 were transposed?

I just noticed that my firmware is reporting the following:

Router Model Netgear WNR3500v2/U/L
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/20/11) vpnkong - build 16830M

Kong
Kong's picture
Hi Rich, yes typo. I have

Hi Rich, yes typo. I have corrected links.

zoomlink
zoomlink's picture
Ok guys, finally got some

Ok guys, finally got some time to start setting up my miniDLNA server.

I have different video types and have someone willing to spend the time to convert them to a format/codec that is supported by miniDLNA.

My client device is an XBOX360 and I have a 60in 1080p LCD flatscreen.

XBOX is puking on some files saying their codec is not supported, so if you can help me out giving me some direction as to what codec I should use so I can see my movie library, that would be greatly appreciated.

Dark_Shadow
Dark_Shadow's picture
zoomlink said: Ok guys,

zoomlink said: Ok guys, finally got some time to start setting up my miniDLNA server. I have different video types and have someone willing to spend the time to convert them to a format/codec that is supported by miniDLNA. My client device is an XBOX360 and I have a 60in 1080p LCD flatscreen. XBOX is puking on some files saying their codec is not supported, so if you can help me out giving me some direction as to what codec I should use so I can see my movie library, that would be greatly appreciated.

This has nothing to do with the firmware of the router, you should post on the xbox forums.

les86
les86's picture
hi. I have another quastion.

hi. I have another quastion. In this release, samba dont like cirilic name of file, and now this file name like "конфуций". Please, give advice how to solve this trouble.

Dark_Shadow
Dark_Shadow's picture
5 Days uptime all is well

5 Days uptime all is well here Asus RT-N16 Kong 17140.4 DLNA with OTRW

Wi-viz is working as well.

zoomlink
zoomlink's picture
Can someone shine some light

Can someone shine some light on why I'm getting this error message when I try to upgrade samba35 with the following command: ipkg-opt upgrade samba35?

[See output below]
root@myrouter:/tmp# ipkg-opt upgrade samba35
Configuring x11
//opt/lib/ipkg/info/x11.postinst: line 4: can't create /etc/nsswitch.conf: Read-only file system
cannot access `/etc/nsswitch.conf': No such file or directory
postinst script returned status 1
ERROR: x11.postinst returned 1
Nothing to be done
Successfully terminated.

This is the script (x11.postinst) that is blowing up:

#!/bin/sh

### fix missing nsswitch.conf, so "localhost" will resolve correctly
test -e /etc/nsswitch.conf || ( echo "hosts: files dns" >/etc/nsswitch.conf ; chmod a+r /etc/nsswitch.conf )
[/code]

Should this be written to /tmp instead of the read-only /etc directory?

Dark_Shadow
Dark_Shadow's picture
kt_haddock said: @D_S Try to

kt_haddock said: @D_S Try to resize wi-viz by take in edge in window, is dot's going faster ?

No they don't

colorlessness
colorlessness's picture
Anybody else having issues

Anybody else having issues with USB in the most recent build (DLNA version)? I had Optware semi-working with a previous version of Kong 17140, installed this version, wiped the drive to reinstall Optware, and now the router doesn't seem to recognize my USB hard drive at all - nothing listed mounted in web gui, nothing listed by using the mount command over telnet. Is this an issue with the build or is there something else I haven't considered?

ps - yes, I have looked at the settings for USB under Services, everything should be properly set up. Anyway it's the same as it was with the previous build, which recognized my USB drive.

colorlessness
colorlessness's picture
Nevermind, further testing

Nevermind, further testing revealed flakiness with this drive and a variety of dd-wrt versions. Back to 14929 for the moment, see if I can make this work with Kong mod a little later on...

thomas01155
thomas01155's picture
Iloveramen said:

Iloveramen said:

kt_haddock said:

Iloveramen said: Hi Kong, I can't seem to connect to the internet and wireless when I set the MIMO Transmission to a fixed rate. This sucks I was hoping to keep using your mod.

If you use Atheros in laptop and you have set ACK-time to 0 then you can't connect. That will work if you only have Broadcom network adapter(s).  Set your ACK-time ex to 200mtr (100 mtr*2)

Interesting.  I did have the ACK-time to 0 and changed it back to default.  After I configured everything I do see some strange behavior.  My laptop with wireless N is able to connect but my other laptop with wireless G will not connect with the MIMO Transmission at a fixed rate (I chose the fixed rate at (15)144mbps).  I have set the wireless mode to mixed and NG-mixed but nothing for wireless G.  I am on wireless channel 1, which no one in my neighborhood is using.

I have this same problem on the Belkin 4301 >.< all my n clients get limited to 54mpbs on mixed or NG-Mixed. When I set MIMO Transmission to a higher rate the G and B clients can no longer connect.

Kong
Kong's picture
Hi thomas,

Hi thomas,

the problem discussed here was related to the newer drivers, that came with the first 17140 build, so I rolled back the driver to a stable release. The latest download links point to the fixed release which stable drivers and you should not change the default setting for transmission rate etc. that was just a workaround for the broken drivers.

thomas01155
thomas01155's picture
Kong said: Hi thomas, the

Kong said: Hi thomas, the problem discussed here was related to the newer drivers, that came with the first 17140 build, so I rolled back the driver to a stable release. The latest download links point to the fixed release which stable drivers and you should not change the default setting for transmission rate etc. that was just a workaround for the broken drivers.

I'm using the lastest version but the rate never seems to get more than above 54Mbps, according to the router, sometimes jumps up to 108Mbps.

N card

This is the status of my wireless N card when connected to the network. Speed: 65Mpbs. I will try it later when no G clients are connected.

Chrisoldinho
Chrisoldinho's picture
Kong, in your next release is

Kong, in your next release is it possible you could delay startup of miniDLNA until all attached devices are mounted successfully, if you need to use a timer of some capacity, a couple of minutes should be fine i'd imagine.

I have a workaround startup script to ensure it launches correctly on boot, so if you can't be bothered for something so small don't worry :)

Chris.

Pages