How to setup WNR3500L with multiple USB-devices via USB-hub?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
ctm555
ctm555's picture
How to setup WNR3500L with multiple USB-devices via USB-hub?

Hi all,

I recently bought this excellent router; WNR3500L. I use the latest Tomato (Ext with USB-support).

My problem occurs when I use two USB-devices (with ID-chip) via a powered USB-hub. The devices are smartcard-readers and the hub is a 4-port from D-Link.

The symptom is that the program (that uses the readers) seems to permantantly loose the connection to the readers (according to it's log) after 1-12h. The tomato log reports nothing of interest at the time of failure. The only way to establish the connection again is to reboot the router (not only the program).

On startup, the program uses the usbserial.ko & ftdsio...something...ko that comes with the tomato extras-package.

I thought that if I were able to "lock" the devices ID (ex "FF45GH") to "ttyUSB0", maybe it would solve my problem.

Is it possible? How? Or may the problem be related to the internal USB-chip of the router? Any ideas?

Best Regards, ctm555

NEMX
NEMX's picture
Just out of curiosity, have

Just out of curiosity, have you tried testing a USB powered hub? I'm also interested in connecting multiple USB devices to my WNR3500L whose firmware is currently -DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/23/10) mega (SVN revision 13972)-. I'm debating which firmware to put on it at the moment. If ctm555's issue gets diagnosed and solved I'd like to move to Tomato.

-cheers

ctm555
ctm555's picture
Yes, my hub is powered. I've

Yes, my hub is powered. I've also tested it without the external power with the same issues.

(I'm no expert) but regarding my specific application, I know some people had issues using DD-WRT. I believe the problem was to get the USB-connection to work at all (even with only one reader)...

BR, ctm555

ctm555
ctm555's picture
Now I have tested with

Now I have tested with another (not powered) hub and the problem still occurs.

Come on, experts! Is there a way to use UDEV in my setup? Yes or No? :)

If yes, how...?

Best Regards, ctm555