increase range of WNR3500L

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
shefler
shefler's picture
increase range of WNR3500L

I just bought a WNR3500L to replace an older wireless router.  My old router which was a wireless-N router was giving my laptop (laptop running wireless-g) a stronger signal than what I'm getting with the new router.  My router is, and has always, been upstairs on one side of the house while my laptop was down stairs on the other side.  I was getting good signal with the old and now a low signal with the new.  I am running the factory firmware plus what ever updates netgear has for the router.  I need to increase the range/distance of the new router to get a stronger signal equal to what I used to have or I need to return the router and look for another model or brand.  Any help?

Sudipta
Sudipta's picture
willjackson is right. There

willjackson is right. There may be interference problem of your selected channel with other signal. So you should try with different channel.

Sawyer
Sawyer's picture
Hm. I honestly think no

Hm. I honestly think no matter what you do this router cant possible be better on wireless then anything N you had before with external antennas. I just got it cuz I dont really care much about wireless and I live in a block flat so there is no need for extensive rangs. MY laptop in the last room still gets a internet speed of 9.6/6Mbps

In custom firmwares you can actually modify the power of the radio but the reviewer said it does really work, at last the setting to boost but boosted isnt really anything worth mentioning.

shefler
shefler's picture
I have it set to 300 and I

I have it set to 300 and I was on channel 11 and thought maybe changing it would help. I changed it to 6 and got maybe a little stronger signal but the ironic thing about that is after doing a scan of the networks near me, none of them are on 11, only one of them is on 1 and about 5 are on channel 6. So I moved to a more crowded channel but went from 18Mbps up to 24Mbps.

Kong
Kong's picture
Actually the wnr3500l has an

Actually the wnr3500l has an excellent range. But lots of people don't know that you have to be careful when positioning a wlan router and its antennas.

Since then wnr3500l has its antennas inside on the board you cannot position them individually.

To see how positioning can affect wireless range, checkout:

http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/18273/How-To-Maximize-Wireless-Perfo...

Depending on the position of your clients, this can be the other way around. I'd would just measure the range in different positions.

Then interference is another thing. Make sure you choose a channel that's 4 channels higher or lower than others in your location. N-Mode can be single stream(150Mbps) or dual stream(300Mbps) in case of dual stream the channel width is doubled, which means you are more likely to fight with interference.