ISP requires to use 802.1x md5 authentification @ wan port

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hipp-e
Hipp-e's picture
ISP requires to use 802.1x md5 authentification @ wan port

so could wnr3500l do the trick with some alternative firmware ? not found in original firmware

help me please - i need a new router urgently, cuz my p330 doesn't have wifi anymore

Striatum
Striatum's picture
I think you speak about

I think you speak about Radius authentication system, which covers EAP/MD5.

Tomato can do that I think (Radius option is present in Wireless settings). DD-wrt must be able to do that also, and have even some radius servers Chilispot, and so on implemented.

Hipp-e
Hipp-e's picture
nope, it's a wpa_supplicant

nope, it's a wpa_supplicant running somewhat like that -
wpa_supplicant -dwired -iwan0 -c/opt/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

isp is using 802.1x md5 challenge over the wired ethernet connection

over the wire

Kong
Kong's picture
You should be able to do this

You should be able to do this with any of the oss firmwares. Either use openwrt to build a fw with wpa_supplicant or install wpa_supplicant through optware for tomato/dd-wrt

Hipp-e
Hipp-e's picture
that's a real deal - tried dd

that's a real deal - tried dd-wrt option - no success - the wired driver is not included into wpa_supplicant provided by optware ipk
any way to recompile it ? maybe someone got the .config that it uses 4 compilation ? but there's a problem again - i don't even imagine how do i compile it 4 needed architecture ....

and yep, i think i bricked it with openwrt - i builded it, did erase linux from dd-wrt, putted chk through tftp, but i forgot to flash another initial firmware that comes with openwrt sources. thet i accessed it through http 1 time, all lights were yellow, then after setting wan ip's and default vlan bridging thing died - it just doesn't react to any type of connection.

any thoughts about that ?

p.s.
sorry 4 my english

Kong
Kong's picture
You can start with a 30s

You can start with a 30s reset, if that doesn't work flash a firmware again through tftp, if you don't have a jtag cable use short pin method.

If you use dd-wrt you can just use your own optware packages. Use openwrt's build environment to build your own set of optware packages. This way you can easily compile in all the features you need.

Hipp-e
Hipp-e's picture
debricked using that hard

debricked using that hard-core short pin method

but can i get a little expanded info about compiling my own optware package for dd-wrt running on dwl3500 ?
assuming that i'm running ubuntu and having the last stable sources of wpa_supplicant.

this isp is serving hundreds thousands of people in central-russia regions, by default we have 2 routers to chose from - both are crap - zyxel p330, and dlink dir-320. There are no other home wifi-gateways supporting 802.1x over wan. So any help will be much appreciated, support is just ignores any options.

Kong
Kong's picture
It's really easy just go to:

It's really easy just go to:

http://kamikaze.openwrt.org/docs/openwrt.html#x1-400002.1

Setup a openwrt build environment. With this build environment you can create your own packages once you have configured openwrt and selected the packages to compile you will find the compiled packages under ~/Openwrt/bin/brcm47xx/packages/
those can be installed via ipkg.
One thing to not is usually openwrt uses a different toolchain, different libc etc. if you install packages compiled with this toolchain you also need to install depending libraries like libc,libpthread etc. . Then before you start such a self compiled app you need to tell it to use these libs by setting the environment variable LD_PRELOAD.

Hipp-e
Hipp-e's picture
good morning again

good morning again

so i built some kind of wpa_supplicant using openwrt build environment, put it to the place, it runs without any errors but cannot see isp's request for md5 challenge, so no auth is done. The trick is that dhcp server gives you an ip only after md5 auth completed.
Any thoughts ?
i really like all that bells & whistles in dd-wrt, it's notso advanced as openwrt so i don't want to move, but it seems i should try how md5 auth will work on a complete openwrt environment

Hipp-e
Hipp-e's picture
failed to even get it online

failed to even get it online