Latest official firmware upgrade: V1.0.2.50_31.1.25 can't find any details on the changes

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
sigman
sigman's picture
Latest official firmware upgrade: V1.0.2.50_31.1.25 can't find any details on the changes

Hi,

I have been searching for any details on the latest Netgear firmware update - V1.0.2.50_31.1.25 (upgrade available from router's manager). I know probably nobody here uses the netgear firmware but any info on what are the changes / new features would be much appreciated. 

By the way the Netgear website still claims that the latest firmware is 1.0.2.26 (http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/12150).

Regards,

sigman

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
Thanks for letting us know

Thanks for letting us know sigman. I'm going to try to find out if we can get the details on the latest firmware version.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
Thanks for the update! I've

Thanks for the update! I've added these to the Downloads section also.

taekwon3dan
taekwon3dan's picture
Testing this new firmware on

Testing this new firmware on my iomega external hdd (NTFS), I found the following with a Gigabit connection directly to my PC (2.60 GB file):

From PC To HDD - 5.65 MB/sec
From HDD to PC - 4.40 MB/sec

My wireless clients seem to be connecting at reasonably fast speeds (35-40 Mbps down and 20-30 Up on a 43 down/35 Up Mbps internet connection)

Some drawbacks:
* no wireless signal/Tx/Rx error) info for connected clients (so impossible to tell how good the connection is)
* can't limit wireless mode to N only
* PS3 connected wirelessly has trouble connecting and/or very slow

taekwon3dan
taekwon3dan's picture
Wireless (270 Mbps) - 10ft

Wireless (270 Mbps) - 10ft away:

From HDD: 3.7 MB/s
To HDD: 2.4 MB/s

MarcelE
MarcelE's picture
I would have used this stock

I would have used this stock firmware too if they added a media/dlna server in it.
Right now I'm using Tomato and added a USB disk which presents itself very nicely to my PS3. If only Netgear had added this I would have gone 'back' to their firmware as their speed is the best.

taekwon3dan
taekwon3dan's picture
Tony Ramirez said: I love the

Tony Ramirez said: I love the fact now that it does not reboot the router no more when you make changes. That annoyance may to go back to dd-wrt which I had problems with. Now its back to the stock firmware. Glad they are improving it. It may not be the prettiest but it does work.

I noticed that some changes result in USB device disconnection, though.  Overall I agree - the new firmware makes this an excellent, fast router with strong signals.  Much faster/stronger than dd-wrt or tomato.