Max run length for LMR-400 (low loss coaxial cable) in WiFi applications + other LMR-400 q

1 post / 0 new
gone_fishin
gone_fishin's picture
Max run length for LMR-400 (low loss coaxial cable) in WiFi applications + other LMR-400 q

These questions are about the maximum run distance of the low-loss coaxial cable (such as an LMR-400).

1. When it comes to such a cable, what is the distance of the run where a noticeable loss to a signal (e.g. connected to a 9dBi antenna) occurs?

1. Can someone quantify this figure (e.g. “At 100' run of LMR-400 the strength of a 9dBi antenna became equivalent to 6dBi” (1.5-2x loss is significant))?

1. What is a maximum recommended (rule-of-thumb) runs where signal loss is not noticeable?

1. Is the loss at connectors/terminators significant?

1. Does the size of the connector make a big difference?

1. Does the size of the connector make a big difference?

1. Does does the material matter if one side of the coupling is steel and the other is gold plated?

1. Would it be better to directly solder the antenna to the router's circuit board if I don't plan to change the antenna in the future?

1. Is special solder required for soldering LMR-400 cable to the circuit board

1. Does the LMR-400 need to be grounded?

1. How can I ground the LMR-400 cable to the circuit board?

1. What is the wire mesh that acts as the shielding for the coaxial cable called?

1. What is the main/center wire of the coaxial cable called?

Here is a picture of the circuit board of the Linksys WRT150N router where I soldered (with usual electronic lead free solder) the center wire of the coax cable to the board's antenna lead. I didn't know where to ground the shielding wire so I trimmed it.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6118/6397204503_d1fbd1bc8b_b.jpg

Thank you so much to everyone that took the time to read my post! Your responses are greatly appreciated!