Netgear Nighthawk R7000 - Cannot access after installing Tomato initial file

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jaeholme
jaeholme's picture
Netgear Nighthawk R7000 - Cannot access after installing Tomato initial file

Hello all.  I could really use this group's help.  I've been reading through forums and I cannot find the exact answer to my problem.  I just puchased the R7000 with the intention of installing Tomato, so that I can link my router to VPN service.  The router is brand new.  I tried using the instructions (video) and files in the below link.  

https://www.myopenrouter.com/download/tomato-shibby-netgear-nighthawk-r7000-initial-flash-image

Following the instructions I made sure to set the router back to default settings in the genie.  Then I installed the file "tomato-R7000-initial.chk."  After the router rebooted, I can again see the networks "NETGEAR52" and "NETGEAR52-5ghz"  from my laptop. When I try to connect to the 5ghz, the connection attempt fails every time.  When I try to connect to the "NETGEAR52" network, it at least asks for the Network Key.  However, I enter the network key that comes with the router but it then fails to connect.  So, basically, I cannot connect to the router at all, so of course I cannot continue with the install.

One thing I may have done wrong, the instructions in the video said "advice" was to "set static IP on the PC network card" before the install.  I did not do that as i was not sure how to do this exactly and also it did not seem required.  

I saw a thread with what seems like a similar problem where someone had first installed DD-WRT.  Shibby recommends  a series of steps including "use putty and connect via telnet on port 233 and log in to router without password" to then get the password.  I am not sure if this would solve, but regardless I could not find what "putty" or connecting via telnet meant (I'm not exactly an IT guy).

I've tried unplugging/starting the router and also resetting the router using the reset button (multiple times).  I have also restarted the PC and tried to connect again.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. 

Mandarin
Mandarin's picture
Yes same problem here. Tomato

Yes same problem here. Tomato intial chk screwed up my R7000 also. I am stuck. Router does not want to respond and wireless passwords (that I changed does not work) Sorry I even tried it!

Mandarin
Mandarin's picture
Btw I DID change my static IP

Btw I DID change my static IP to 192.168.1.2 and it still bricked my router!

tony_qc
tony_qc's picture
same problem!

same problem!

anch
anch's picture
Same here. Is there a

Same here. Is there a solution other than USB TTL Cable?